CHAPTER 66: TRUE HEIR

Kharis is currently in the embrace of Leonidas on the bed. Her wailing has stopped, leaving her sniffles behind. The wearh gently pats and rubs her back, patiently waiting for her to speak whenever she is ready or sleep...crying must have worn her out.

"I apologize, Kieran," she says after a while.

He furrows his eyebrows, "For what?"

"I was hitting you earlier, my hurt was misdirected. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Leonidas' deep chuckle causes goosebumps to appear on her skin.

"It barely did any damage," he replies.

Kharis feels her cheeks heating up as she looks up at him. He leans in, pressing his lips against hers. His woman responds to him, holding his cheeks in her hands as she deepens the kiss.

Leonidas breaks it, allowing her to breathe, placing a kiss on her forehead. She rests the right side of her face, on his chest, her body leaning on him, and her arms around him.

He places his hand over her belly that is larger than he remembered.

"How is our child?"

"Our child is fine."

"How about you?"

"I'll be fine."

"Kharis..." Leonidas says, not liking the sound of that.

"It's only because of the news, I promise I am okay."

"Tell me whenever you're in pain," he continues, rubbing her back. She nods, her head still on his chest, struggling to formulate the words she wants to say.

"Your mother...told me about...the circumstances surrounding your birth."

 Since Kharis cannot see her husband's face, she can only focus on his breathing, his heart rate, and his tone when he replies to her.

"I figured she would have."

"Kieran, you are the son of the late king Balthasar." Kieran's hold tightens around her in response to her words.

"I am a bastard."

"You are the rightful owner of the Bethillorian throne."

"A bastard"

"The late king's blood flows through your veins."

"Balthasar was Oleander's brother."

"So when he passed, the throne should have gone to you."

"What do you want from me, Kharis?"

The woman pauses, gathering her courage, "When the plan goes through, the people will not want Oleander on the throne. Something has to be done, when that time comes."

Kharis has been thinking about this since Leonidas left for Nyland. Who else should sit on the throne if not the one who shares the late king's blood? Leonidas is a being of integrity, he will rule Bethillore the right way. He would not throw a tantrum over a human not wanting him, and start a war!

Leonidas removes her from him, making her sit up and face him, both his hands holding both her arms.

"I do not want the throne Kharis, I have never wanted it," he says, watching her sad eyes. 

Pausing, he furrows his eyebrows continuing, "Is this what you want? Are you willing to become the Queen of Bethillore? To rule over wearhs alongside me though you are half human and half elf? Can you handle that?"

"I've been thinking about it and..."

Kharis looks into his eyes, hers becoming more dejected as she removes his hands from her arms. She swallows hard and looks down at her ring, Kieran's eyes follow hers.