CHAPTER 36: LONG RUN

Once the carriage stops, Kharis alights. Leonidas watches as she heads straight into the manor, without looking back.

Dismounting his horse, he slowly makes his way up to their chambers. His eyes settle on her lying face flat on the bed, the room is quiet but he knows she is crying inside.

Heading to the table, he undresses till it is just his knee-length braies left. The wearh glances at her one last time before he eases himself onto the chaise, closing his eyes.

Kharis lifts her head, her eyes red, but she hadn't shed a tear, she is holding everything in.

Looking over she sees him lying on the chaise.

The woman stands, taking small steps till she stands over him. His eyes are still closed but she knows he's aware of her presence.

Kharis climbs onto the furniture, laying on top of him, resting her head on his chest, her arms around him, her legs on either side of his waist. His heartbeat is steady. She takes his hands, wrapping them around her as she snuggles into him, his hold tightening a bit around her.

Things never seem to look up for her, and quite frankly she does not know if they ever will.

"I want to believe you are not like the wearhs I saw earlier on...but I am scared," she whispers, breaking the silence.

"I saw the look in that man's eyes as he was being mutilated. Despite his fear and desperate plea for help, I knew he saw me as an embarrassment, a traitor. How can I be with the same monsters that kill my own? I eat, sleep, and bed one for that matter. Now, I am carrying a child and I can't help but think he is right. With every unspoken word that he conveyed through his pain, I got the message. I am a traitor, and being with you, loving you, signifies all of that."

Leonidas doesn't utter a word, as he holds her close, carrying her to the bed when she fell asleep.

Kharis opens her eyes the next morning realizing she is back on the bed, but Leonidas is gone. Taking a deep breath, she groans, sinking her face into her palms before throwing herself back on the bed.

She can't believe her feelings got the best of her yesterday! What is happening to her? She is usually more in control of herself. Sure she didn't shed any tears but her words spoke volumes.

How can I be with the same monsters that kill my own?

She called him a monster! Lord, and he said nothing while she was pouring out her feelings. He just...held her tight.

Kharis feels her heart fall remembering last night. He told her to stay back, and though it was because she is carrying his child, none of yesterday would have happened if she just listened to him, and not changed his mind!

No...Esme has always told her to never invalidate her feelings. She got to see the side of the wearhs that do not exist in this manor...they don't exist because Leonidas is the Lord of this manor. Goodness, how could she be so insensitive to him and all he's done for her and the humans here? The fact that a good number of them chose to stay, rather than head back to Nyland speaks volumes!

Kharis freshens up quickly, opening the door, almost running into Myria.

"Forgive me, My Lady," she bows, holding a tray with breakfast on it.

"It's alright. I didn't ask for a meal."

"Lord Leonidas asked to have a meal sent up to you."

The woman feels her heart clench on hearing this.

"...Where is he?"

"Training, My Lady."

"I'll eat later," she says walking past her, down the stairs, and out of the manor. She needs to make things right, and apologize for her insensitivity.