CHAPTER 28: HEAVY HEART

Kharis opens her eyes the next morning, feeling strange. Why are two hearts beating as one?

Did she grow another overnight?

Looking down at the bed, she realizes she's not technically on the bed, but on a body.

It takes a minute for Kharis to register that she is still lying on Leonidas.

The woman lifts her upper body, studying the man who is unconscious. Slowly, she lifts her hand placing it on his cheek, gently caressing it.

Nothing can explain how full her heart is watching this man. He was upset yesterday because he was jealous but he did not let that cloud his judgment when he barged into Prince Callan's room.

Kharis presses her lips on his cheek, before planting a chaste one on his lips. His eyes snap open, meeting her gentle smile. She moves to get up, but he pulls her back down, placing a lingering kiss on her lips.

Kharis breaks it, whispering a quick, "Good morning," before getting off him, and heading to the other door to prepare for the day.

Prince Callan will be leaving today and as the lady of the manor, she needs to be there, despite what took place the previous night.

After freshening up, she comes out to see Leonidas sitting on the bed.

"I'm through."

"No need"

Confused, she steps towards him, "You won't freshen up?"

"I trained already and freshened up afterward."

So he slipped back under her when he was done? How did she not notice this? More importantly, why did he go through that struggle? It must have been hard to get her back on him without waking her.

"You're a heavy sleeper," he comments, watching her debate her thoughts internally.

"I am not," she says with a shocked frown.

"To me," he replies shrugging.

Wearing her clothes, she turns to Leonidas who has had his eyes on her the entire time.

"I will head down now."

"Let's go."
"I need to see Greta and Gisella first."

The commander gets up and walks to her, bringing her body close to his. "Once you're done, stay beside me at all times."

"I will."

He kisses her forehead, walking her out of the chambers where they go their separate ways, Myria waiting just outside the door, following her.

Kharis smiles to herself heading straight to Greta's chambers. She knocks on the door but it elicits no response.

"Greta?"

She knocks again but is left with silence. Turning on her heels, she heads to Gisella's chambers where she would most likely be.

Knocking on the door, Greta's "come in," prompts her to open the hardwood immediately frowning in confusion as she sees Greta folding her arms, and Gisella folding her clothes.

"Gisella?"

Gigi looks up at her friend, a sad smile appearing on her face. "Good morning Kharis."

Kharis does not respond, looking at the pile of clothes on her friend's bed. "W-what is going on?"

A sigh escapes the young lady's mouth as she says, "I'm leaving with the envoy."

Nothing, absolutely nothing could have prepared her for this moment. Gisella is leaving.