CHAPTER 45: GONE

Four weeks

That is exactly how long it has been since Leonidas left his betrothed at his mother's house in Denaizen.

He has been on the battleground for three weeks and their enemies' numbers seemed to diminish but one night they skyrocketed out of nowhere, just as he suspected. He might have to be there longer than anticipated.

Leonidas walks into the tent where Cassiel and Isaac are seated.

"I just received word that the other generals are planning to arrive," Isaac says. The supreme commander grunts in response, taking his seat and looking at the map stretched out, completely, on the table.

"Their numbers are a bit unstable," Cassiel speaks out.

"Not in any way beneficial to us," Leonidas replies.

"Indeed, if the trend continues we may have to change the course of the attack," Isaac suggests.

Leonidas sighs, he will not have mercy on these humans, they are keeping him out here for too long.

"Leave no survivors for slavery."

***

It's late and Kharis is sitting down inside her chambers, writing a letter to Kieran. She has not seen him in a month with no word from him or how he is faring. Despite Ruby and her friends telling her not to worry, she cannot help the overwhelming feeling that something is wrong, or something is not going as planned.

"Things like this happen, Kharis, it does not mean he is in danger. There might be more enemies than anticipated, or maybe he's waiting on the king to clear him of his mission," Esme says.

"I know, but what if he's hurt?"

"If Lord Leonidas could come back victorious during 'The War of Blood', then this battle is nothing but practice to him."

"It won't hurt to send him a letter," she whispers to her silent chamber as she dips her quill in ink.

Kieran,

I hope and pray that when you receive this letter, you are safe and unharmed in any shape or form. If I can hope for more, then I hope that you are on your way back when this letter reaches you. It has been four weeks since you left, and I miss you more every day. It still feels uncomfortable to sleep alone every night, especially since Denaizen is getting even colder. Don't fret, I am keeping myself warm, and our child is doing well.

Kharis gasps, her left hand landing on her belly, a smile gently etching onto her face as she continues writing.

You will not believe it. As I write this letter to you, the little one kicked. This is the first time I have ever felt our child move, and it happened when I was writing a letter to you. It seems I am not the only one that misses you. I am not the only one that is eager to see you again, to be trapped in your warmth.

Your mother has been nothing short of kind, and welcoming since you left. I have grown very comfortable around her, and she reminds me a lot of my late mother. She has been teaching me how to grow plants, and how to tell which seeds would bear good fruits and flowers.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to leave the residential house because I was a bit unwell two weeks ago. I believe my body was trying to get accustomed to the weather. Again, please don't fret because I know how you are when you worry. As I write this letter to you, I am completely fine, and healthy. I have also been eating more, thanks to your mother. When this is all over, I think we should visit her more often, especially since she will have a grandchild. I don't think I would be comfortable raising our child in the absence of any family member.