CHAPTER 58: CONNECTING THE DOTS

Prince Callan sits with his advisors late at night. The men are unsure as to why they were summoned at this hour, but seeing the prince's dark baggy eyes, and hair pointing in several directions, it's clear he has not slept in days. This cannot be good.

"Your Highness," Advisor John calls, breaking the silence, and making Callan turn to him.

"Are you alright?"

Callan adjusts himself, looking at the table filled with scrolls, books, and a large map showing the three kingdoms.

"I will be after I get some answers."

Prince Callan did not want to admit it, but his conversation with Leonidas got him thinking, and so he did what any curious mind would: look for answers.

"Of course, Your Highness," Advisor Tudor says, looking at Bartholomew, who shrugs, as he has no idea what has gotten into Callan either.

"I was taking a look at our records,"

"Our records? Of what, Your Highness?" Advisor Francis asks.

Callan turns to the blonde man, "Of war. I looked into the men sent to war against Garvania and Bethillore respectively."

"Forgive me, Your Highness, but should we not leave that up to the military?" John asks.

Callan narrows his eyes at him, "Are you hiding something?"

"N-not at all, Your Highness, all I am saying is that matters like that are not our strongest-"

"Very well. Bartholomew, get me the military general right now."

Bartholomew stands up, "At once, Your Highness."

The three advisors sit in the room, feeling rather out of place as Prince Callan's glare shifts from one to the other, then back to the materials on the table.

A sigh of relief escapes Francis, once General Mark walks through the doors with Bartholomew.

"Your Highness," he greets in uncertainty.

"General, please have a seat."

The man does as instructed, taking a seat beside Francis.

"Is this alright for you, John?"

"Y-yes, Your Highness."

"Very well. General I was just telling my advisors that I was taking a look at the men who were sent to Garvania and Bethillore-"

"Forgive me for the interruption, Your Highness, but may I ask that your advisors clear the room?"

"What is this, General?" Tudor says with a frown, but the man does not reply.

Callan frowns, looking at the General, before he says, "Clear the room."

All except Bartholomew leave.

General Mark, takes a seat closer to Callan, dragging the papers to him.

"Something is not adding up, is it, Your Highness?"

Callan perks up, and Bartholomew comes closer, "You knew?"

"I have known for quite a while but there was nothing I could do."

"What is going on?" Bartholomew asks.

"The men taken to fight against Garvanian soldiers are much more skilled, and experienced, as opposed to those fighting the wearhs."

"What?"

"In fact, those fighting the wearhs have received only the basic training,"

"Why has this been happening?" Callan asks Mark.