CHAPTER 23: MINE

SURPISE UPDATE!

Kharis is sitting by the table in Leonidas' chambers when he walks in.

"Good evening, My Lord," she greets, standing up.

"You're not asleep," he replies, heading to the other room.

"No..." When he leaves her sight she pauses, continuing slowly as he walks back in.

"I was waiting for you."

"No need, lie down and sleep." Kharis watches him as he passes her again, taking a seat by the table.

Sighing softly, she walks to him, watching as he removes his solletlets and then helping him with the gauntlets.

"Are you alright?" the young woman asks in concern.

"I'm fine," he replies curtly, getting up as she finishes removing them.

Kharis has to admit that she does enjoy this man's company and fondness, but when he gets like this, shutting everything and everyone out, it's difficult for her as she's yet again, reminded of her ambiguous position in his life.

"Alright," she whispers more to herself.

The woman gets under the sheets, hugging herself as she watches him head into the other room to take his bath.

When he emerges, wearing just his knee-length braies, he finds her laying there, picking at her nails.

"You're still awake."

"Forgive me, My Lord," she says, before closing her eyes.

Sighing, he enters the bed, drawing her back against him, holding her securely in his embrace.

'This man is so confusing!' she thinks to herself.

"King Alexander will be at the manor anytime this week," he finally says, making Kharis turn to look at him.

"King Alexander? Of Nyland?"

The excitement in her voice irritates him.

"Yes"

The young lady smiles. "That means I have so much to prepare. Lord, I have no idea what he enjoys! I will look in your books, there should be a bit of information on -"

"Don't bother," he says, cutting her off.

"I shouldn't bother? Isn't it this manor you speak of?"

"It is"

"Then as the lady of the manor, I need to -"

"Ambrosia will be in charge of the preparations. Stay in my chambers throughout their visit."

Kharis feels her heart sink when she hears this, her smile falling.

"Could you tell me why?"

"It is my order"

"You don't think...I can handle the preparations...is that it?"

"..."

"Answer me, My Lord."

"It is my order."

Sucking in a deep breath, she nods, moving to break away from his embrace, but he holds her tight.

"Where are you going?"

"I would like to sleep in my chambers tonight, My Lord."

"No"

Kharis can't help but feel suffocated at this moment. She just wants to be away from him.

"Alright, let me go, I'll lie by the other side of the bed."