86

I threw my jacket to the floor, kicked Thomas to the ground and got the knife out in full focus. I'd wasted enough time. "I'm sorry, Thomas."

"What the fuck!" he shouted. "Louis, what are you doing?"

I clapped my hand over his mouth, holding the knife against his neck. "I'm sorry," I repeated, but my eyes were bloodshot and watering. I started sweating everywhere.

I swallowed long and hard, finding it increasingly difficult to block Thomas' muffled noises from below my hand. I needed to get this over and done with.

I couldn't believe I was betraying Thomas. The very boy I grew up with, who I'd spent my childhood with. Our memories wouldn't stop flashing in my head, it was such bad fucking timing. I began to raise the knife from my hand into the air, ready to push it into him with full force. The quicker I did this, the quicker I could get the fuck out of here. My patience was wearing too thin.

Just as I was about to lower it to his body, I heard the door creek. I felt a flood of paranoia wash over my body as I froze to the spot. If there were any witnesses... I'd be in big trouble. I'd probably have to kill the person at the door too...

I started to panic, because this wasn't how I had been expecting things to play out. I wanted this to be quick and painless... Somebody standing at the door made things ten times more fucking complicated.

I slowly, slowly steered my head to the left, to look behind me to see if anybody was there... But before I could, Thomas was able to wriggle free from my grasp. He doubled over and threw me to the floor, snatching the knife from my hands and clambering on top of me.

Everything was falling apart. I'd failed miserably. This was going to backfire on me...

And now, I would be a dead man.

"I thought we were mates, Louis," he said softly. His tone was like poison to my ears. "A mate that wants to kill me just because I dissed his bastard of a stepdad?" He got up slowly, standing up properly, and kicked me hard in the abdomen, four times in repeat succession.

"Please stop!" I cried. "Please." The pain was overwhelming. I could barely breathe.

"But if you were my friend, you wouldn't even think to double-cross me," he said bitterly, his chest heaving upwards and downwards.

I was in agony. He punched me and kicked me, kicked me and punched me, punched me and kicked me... Until I was blue in the face. And then he kept speaking to me while he did it, reminding me of what I'd done to him, reminding me of what I'd planned. I couldn't take it. I couldn't bear it...

Oh Father, forgive me... For I have sinned.