191

CHAPTER 24

FREEDOM AT LAST

§ LOUIS §

My last days in prison felt like a dream because I couldn't believe that they were actually going to let me go. I spent my last night shaving, grooming and cleaning out my locker area.

I walked out of my cell to see a policeman standing there with his hands on his hips. It felt like I was in a daze. "Do you really think they're going to let me go?" I found myself asking him.

The cop chuckled in response. "Yes son, you've done your time. They will let you go!"

I punched the air, thrilled. I had to pinch myself a few times just to confirm that this was real. That I wasn't dreaming. I hadn't seen daylight for such a long time.

I searched around the canteen and the main lobby for all of my friends. It was time to say goodbye to all of the friends that I made in here. But I couldn't find them anywhere...

I shrugged, leaving the room in the hope that they would turn up sooner or later. I would hate to leave jail without some closure with the people who'd made my life here bearable.

As I turned on my heel, I heard a voice calling my name.

"Hey Louis, wait up!"

I turned around to see a brown-skinned man with dreadlocks grinning at me, standing next to another man, who I assumed was his friend, a white man who had his ginger hair tied up in a manbun. I rubbed my chin, confused as to why the hell two strangers I'd never spoken to or seen before, were approaching me and knew of me.

"Do I know you?" I asked flatly.

"Well well well, if it isn't Louis," he said, with his hands on his hips. "Finally getting out of jail after serving a 5-year sentence."

I crossed my arms awkwardly. I didn't want trouble or to kick off, I'd probably get an extended sentence... And I'd been waiting to get out of prison for so long. I had to try and remain calm and keep it together, even though this man was already making my patience wear thin and making me confused as hell as to how he even knew who I was.

"What's up, cat got your tongue?" said the other. "Not such a big man in jail when you claim to be a mob boss in the streets, are you?"

"Look, I don't want trouble so back off," I replied, repulsed. Mob boss? How the hell did he know that? I swallowed, afraid that I'd been compromised. "I've got better things to do with my time than entertain dumb yutes like you." My blood started to boil, and I was starting to get pissed off.

"It's funny how you claim to be a "Mafia kingpin"," the man began, "And that you're part of Steve's criminal organization-" He smirked. "But Steve hasn't come to visit you once while your ass was in jail."

Both of them roared with laughter, and I could feel my face falling as my anger continued to rise to the surface. How did these bastards know so much about me, and Steve? I didn't know, but right now, I wanted to spin both of their jaws and teach them a lesson not to fuck with or play games with me. But I knew better not to say or do anything that could ruin my chances of getting out of here... So I knew that I should just let them have it, as much as it fucking pained me.

I drew in a deep breath. All I could do was deny their allegations. Innocent till proven guilty, right? "I'm sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about," I shrugged, and then screwed my face, wanting them to leave me the fuck alone. "Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go back to my cell, it's my last day here." I rolled my eyes, turning on my heel again, but they just wouldn't stop talking shit.

"Fucking pussy-hole," he retorted bitterly. "You know exactly what we're talking about."

"It's cute how the Mafia boss doesn't have any friends," said the other, with his hands on his hips. "His own stepdad couldn't even be bothered to come and visit him."

He burst into laughter again. I balled my hand into a fist, shaking with rage, using my other hand to keep my fist downwards to stop myself from charging at these shady motherfuckers.

"Then again, Steve's probably busy abusing Louis's junkie of a mother," he said.

I could feel my blood run cold at these words. It was boiling to the point it almost dried up. I felt myself turning around, staring at the men dead in the face. These motherfuckers should have known better than to mess with me.

"What the fuck did you just say?" I said quietly, venom drawling all over my voice.

"Oh my God, he doesn't know!" They burst into laughter again, and by this point, I was so angry that I was screaming till my throat went dry.

"DON'T KNOW WHAT?!" I bellowed, punching the wall behind them until my knuckles went bloody. "You bastards better start making sense, or else when I get out of here..."

My eyes were bloodshot. I was so angry. So damn angry. I wanted to murder. I wanted to strangle this man until the wind knocked out of his lungs and he pleaded for air.

"We're not scared by your petty threats," he retorted, amused. "If you couldn't protect your own mother, what makes you think you could hurt us?"

"Protect my mother from what?!" I screamed, not being able to make sense of what the hell they were saying. "You know nothing about me!"

"Since we're so kind hearted, we'll tell you," he chuckled. "The streets all know that your stepdad is a woman beater."

No.

No, no, no...

A woman beater?

Steve?

A woman beater...?