Chapter Eleven

Kili

There is still some pain in my leg but I feel ten times better. I'm sitting at the table, my thoughts on what I thought was a dream but was just me being delirious with pain.

Lessrien. I pray she's alright...but the dragon is on his way here. What fate have our kin met? Do they still yet live in the mountain, waiting for us?

Tauriel comes back into the house in a hurry. "We have no time! We must leave!" Over head I hear what sounds like a rush of air, Smaug must be here now.

"Get him up." Bofur orders Fili, referring to me. Fili comes over to me and grabs my arm.

"Come on, brother." I wave him off then Bofur comes over and grabs my arm.

"Come on, come on! Let's go!" I shove him off.

"I'm fine-I can walk." I get up, grabbing my things.

"As fast as you can." Tauriel urges us.

"We're not leaving. Not without our father. Bain argues, talking with Tauriel.

"If you stay here, your sisters will die. Is that what your father would want?" Tauriel points out to the boy. He doesn't reply, just starts gathering supplies.

With all of our supplies gathered we head out to the back of the house, loading a boat. "Give me your hand." Fili helps Sigrid onto the boat and then Tilda.

"Come on, we gotta go!" Bofur hurries us, loading the rest of the supplies.

"Quickly now! Hurry!" Tauriel gets the girls situated in the boat and I turn to grab one last thing.

"Kili, come on!" I climb onto the boat after Bain. Fili has me sit in front of him. We push away from the house, Tauriel poling the boat through chunks of ice.

Smaug swoops low overhead, the screams of the townspeople echo through the air. I watch the dragon as he flies higher, his chest and neck beginning to glow. He turns around and when he's directly over the town he unleashes his fire. He turns to another section of the town, unleashing his flame on it.

"Look out!" Bain calls out and our boat collides with the Master's. His boat is filled with gold and other treasure...I don't think that belongs to him. We manage to push our boats apart and continue on down the canal.

I look around; people are trampling and shoving each other trying to find a boat to escape on. I wonder if things were like this for Uncle and Lessrien when their homes were attacked?

Tauriel pulls us under an overhang for a few minutes, only continuing when it's safe to. As we continue on down the canal I look towards the children, checking on them.

"Da!" I follow Bain's gaze and I see Bard standing atop the bell tower, shooting at the dragon.

"Da!" Tilda shouts.

I watch as an arrow flies right at Smaug and it hits him, right where there's a mark - a missing scale.

"He hit it! He hit the dragon!" I call out to the others.

"No..." I turn to Tauriel.

"He did! He hit his mark, I saw!"

"His arrows cannot pierce its hide; I fear nothing will." Tauriel explains, staring up at Bard.

A second later Bain is leaping up and grabbing onto a hook. We all jump up and grab and yell after him but its too late, he swings clear of the boat.

"What are you doing?!" Bofur shouts.