Chapter Three

Thorin

Some of us are stuck in sacks while the others are tied up on a pole, being rotated over a fire. Bilbo has just told the trolls that the secret to cooking Dwarf is to skin them first.

"Tom, get me the filleting knife."

"What a load of rubbish! I've eaten plenty with their skins on, Scoff 'em I say, boots and all!"

"He's right! Nothing wrong with o' raw Dwarf. Nice and Crunchy!" The troll picks up Bombur, holding him over his open mouth.

"Uh, not, not that one, he's, he's infected!" Bilbo stammers but it's enough to get the troll to stop what he's doing.

"You what?" Another one of the trolls questions.

"Yeah, he's got worms in his...tubes." Bilbo explains.

"Ooh!" The troll throws Bombur to the ground, disgusted.

"In-in fact, they all have. They're infested with parasites, it's a terrible business, I wouldn't risk it, I really wouldn't." Bilbo tells the trolls.

"Parasites? Did he say parasites?" Oin asks.

"Yeah, we don't have parasites! You have parasites!" Kili yells at Bilbo. I see the Hobbit sigh...He's trying to buy us time. I kick Kili and give him a look, hoping he and the others realize what I just did.

"I've got parasites as big as my arm!" Oin shouts.

"Mine are the biggest parasites, I've got huge ones!" Kili calls out.

"We're riddled!" Nori announces.

"Yes, we are, badly!" Dori confirms and I see the Hobbit make a pleased nod in our direction. Also close by I swear I hear laughter barely being suppressed. I'd recognize that laughter anywhere and I have to fight the smile.

"What would you have us do then? Let 'em all go?" One of the trolls asks.

"Well..." Bilbo trails off.

"You think I don't know what you're up to? This little ferret is taking us for fools!" The troll declares to his friends.

"Ferret?!" Bilbo asks, offended.

"Fools?"

I see Gandalf appear from the bushes, his staff in hand. "The dawn will take you all!"

"Who's that?"

"No idea."

"Can we eat him too?"

The trolls do not get their answer as Gandalf brings his staff down on the rock and it cracks down the middle, the early dawn light pouring into the clearing. The trolls cry out as the sunlight turns them to stone, freezing them in place.

A moment later my daughter comes out of her hiding place, a bright grin on her face. She helps Bilbo out of the sack then she and him as well as Gandalf help the rest of us out of the sacks.

Lessrien gets up to Kili and she starts giggling. "You've got the biggest parasites, hey?" She asks and Kili looks away from her and she erupts into laughter. That's always been a magical sound to me.

Kili grabs her and she yelps but continues laughing as Kili ruffles her hair. I turn to the wizard as I pull on my coat. "Where did you go to, if I may ask?"

"To look ahead."

"What brought you back?"

"Looking behind. Nasty business. Still, they are all in one piece." Gandalf answers, content with the outcome.