Celebrating a love that once was just tolerated

You watched the interview on your phone as Aubrey entered the apartment. It made you sick to your stomach when you looked at the screen, you felt betrayed.

"What is this?" you asked, as she walked over to you.

She stood behind the couch that you sat on, and as she took off her jacket she said, "it's the interview I told you about, to promote the movie."

"No shit... I wasn't born yesterday."

"I mean, what are you doing?" you asked her, gesturing to the interview.

"I just told you... I was promoting the movie," she answered slightly confused.

"You're standing with his arms around your body, you're laughin' but the joke's not funny at all," you said, getting angry, while replaying the clip for her to watch.

"What's the problem?" she asked, even though she knew what was wrong.

"You're letting the media change the narrative, again! Now you're dating him, your costar, for a month or two..."

"That's a little bit dramatic... it's just dating rumors and speculations," Aubrey said, trying to stop the argument before it could start.

You had been dating for over a year, and still, she kept it under wraps. You hadn't even told your family, or your closest friends, and it deeply hurt you.

"Why can't we go public with our relationship?" you asked, getting even more upset as she sat down beside you.

"I'd like my life to be private," she answered, and sat down beside you.

You knew some part of that was true, but not entirely.

"You're ashamed of me, aren't you?"

"Come on, it's not like that..."

"Then tell me, what is it like, then?" you asked, crossing your arms.

"I'm doing what's best for us..."

"I disagree."

"Why is it so important to you?" she asked, in a calm voice.

"Because I'm in love with you, and I'm tired of hiding it."

She inhaled, and exhaled slowly, keeping her calm.

"Why do you insist on making me your dirty little secret?" you asked, feeling devastated.

"Because if they knew, they'd tear us apart."

"No, they wouldn't," you argued.

"Don't deny something we both know is true..." she said and let out a sigh.

"Just look at us now, they don't even know about us, and still they manage to destroy the love we share," she tried to explain, still not raising her voice.

She was so much older, and wiser than you.

She was always careful with her choices, trying to stay ahead of everything to make sure it wouldn't ruin anything. And there you were again, in her apartment, arguing, but nobody had to know, and they never would.

"All this time... you kept me like a secret, but I kept you like an oath."

"That's not fair," she said as she ran her hands through her hair.

"The way you treat me isn't fair," you spat back.

"Don't be childish!" she raised her voice; you had crossed the line.

"Do you keep me around just to feel young? Are you scared not to be hip, scared to get old?"

"What are you on about?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.