Chapter 2 - Cheesecake

MICHAEL

Struggling to open my eyes after a broken night of sleep on Luke and Jordan's lumpy couch, I finally focus on the dark pink splatters on the ceiling I didn't notice the night before. I'll strive to make a start in the messy room so that I can move my bed in as soon as possible. Longer than a week on this couch will kill my back. It's a big difference with the comfortable one at my parents.

Last night, Luke offered me to share his bed, but I couldn't accept it. He has an early start at the bakery and I know I toss and turn in my sleep, so I rather have him wake up rested. After hearing the stories about his boss getting on his case for upgrading a pie recipe, I asked him why he doesn't leave. He's faithful to Marissa, the owner's daughter, who's been his biggest mentor since he graduated from the culinary institute five years ago.

I reach out for my watch, which reads 9:38 a.m.. Luke is long gone to work and I should get started with my chores. I also need to make some calls to find writing assignments if I want to afford my costs while writing and editing my travel memories.

"That's not a healthy sound. Good morning!"

The unhealthy sound came from my cracking back as I stretched. Jordan sits at the dining table, headphones around his neck and in front of him is a large monitor, that wasn't there yesterday , and his laptop displays some sort of game.

"Morning," I say and my voice comes out as if I have swallowed a frog, the result of drinking one beer too many last night.

"Rotten night of sleep? Luke and I always comment that we need a new couch, but never get to it. Coffee?" He stands up and limps to the kitchen.

"Wasn't my best night, but I've had worse during my travels. And thank you, coffee sounds good right now." I stand up and join him in the kitchen.

In the past years, I've had my share of dingy motel beds, wicker floor mats, and even hammocks. Once I slept on top of a bunch of newspapers outside because I arrived too late and the pension was closed. Luckily, it was a very warm evening, and I welcomed being outdoors.

"Even with the uncomfortable places to sleep, I envy you for having seen the world. I went abroad with Dad a few times when he had songwriting meetings with artists, but it was always corporate hotels and quick sightseeing trips. I feel like we never had enough time to truly enjoy where we were."

"I could because I didn't have plans and ended where the wind blew me." The memories make me smile. "But you said your father owns Moonlight House, he also writes songs?"

"He does, and also owns a plumbing business. He writes songs with Erin, who is also one of the club's owners and like a close aunt to me. I've admired him since we met. He's a busy man, but always made time for our family. If one of his trips fell during the school vacation, he would take us with him to make sure he got to see us."

"That's thoughtful. And do I know any songs they have written?"

"Unless you have lived under a rock in the past years, you must have heard a song called Yellow But Not Beer."

"I know that one! It's from Pinch of Postal, right? Your Dad wrote that?" The memory of the hilarious song makes me chuckle.

"It was a collaboration with Joel, their drummer, and Lexy, their lead guitar player."

"Impressive! How can your dad stand to be in the same room as Lexy? She's incredibly beautiful."

Pinch of Postal's guitar player and only female member is one of the sexiest women alive. I've never met her, but on interviews, she always comes across as fun and kind.