Chapter 33 - Birthday

LUKE

Today, Michael and I celebrate our 29th birthday. It's been a while since we've done this together, as he was away for the past years. And what a better way to celebrate than to come home to our parents with Mateo, Rebecca and Joy.

As I look around at my family, I feel a complete sense of calmness. Things finally seem to be falling into place for me. During the past three months, Rebecca and I have spent time together, taking care of Joy and enjoying simple pleasures. My love for them grows every day, and without a doubt, Rebecca is the right woman for me. She helps me be the best version of myself and is proud of my efforts. With her, I feel alive.

"Mom, Dad, you outdid yourselves," I say and consider opening the button of my jeans to let my full belly out. "A delicious meal and cake. What else could we ask for?"

Joy extends her hand towards the rest of the cake and I move it away. Instead, I place in front of her an extra slice of a small cake I brought. Rebecca has not noticed what happened and looks relaxed while she talks with Mateo. She can finally rely on someone else to keep an eye out on her daughter.

"I love cooking and having you all around. It's more a gift for me than for you," Mom says as she forks a piece of cake from her plate. "Twenty-nine years old... Seems I was wiping your noses a moment ago."

Usually I would complain about a comment like that, but not today, because I kind of assume it's tough for a mom to see her boys become men.

"I feel ancient," Michael says. "Thirty next year."

"If 29 is ancient, we must be dust," Dad says to Mom who chuckles. "How did the meeting with Morgan Events go?" Dad asks Michael and Mateo.

"It went well. I went without expectations, but Luke and Jordan were right, they make everything so fun and pleasant. Oh, thanks Dad." Michael accepts the cup of coffee Dad hands him. "We don't have the money to throw a big event, and they still could accommodate our wishes with our budget."

"Michael, if you need help, you only need to ask," Mom says.

"I know, Mom, and thanks. Mateo's family also offered to help with the costs, but we would feel more comfortable paying for it ourselves. Now that Mateo is teaching and I'm getting recurring copywriting assignments, we can afford something we are happy about. We asked if we could have the ceremony at the park where we met again, but Thomas said the municipality doesn't give permits anymore. Something about wedding crashers since it's a public space and drunken people behaving inappropriately."

"Michael told me about a restaurant here in Lonstino with pretty gardens," Mateo says. "What was it called again?"

"Julio's," Michael replies. "I think the gardens will be perfect to hold the ceremony and the reception in combination with the restaurant. Plus Julio and his family have been part of our lives since I have a memory. I didn't opted for the fairgrounds because we want Brian's family as guests and we don't want them running around overseeing the preparations. Our only concern is where to accommodate Mateo's family. Going back to Greenwood doesn't seem responsible after partying all night."

"Leave that to me. I've become friends with Paul, the owner of the Grand Harbor Hotel," Dad says. "I'm sure something can be arranged at a reasonable price."

"Thanks, Dad. It really takes a weight off our shoulders. Luke-"

"You want me to bake your wedding cake."

Michael laughs and shakes his head. "I wanted to ask you to be my best man."

Surprised at the request, I feel lost on what to say. "Me... Not Oliver?"