Chapter 31 - Gossip

TRISTAN

Harper smiles as we take a stroll down the Lonstino pier. The city girl has fallen in love with the small town. Whenever our free weekends coincide, she starts talking a few days earlier about Charlie's food or my Dad's sweets. My biggest pleasure is doting on her and I call ahead to make sure her favorite foods are ready when we arrive in my hometown.

In two weeks, my arm cast should come off. My ribs stopped hurting a while ago and I believe they are sufficiently healed by now. This isn't the first time I've broken something, but the situation is always inconvenient for myself and everyone around me. Mom took great care of me during my convalescence at home, but on Christmas day, when Darla forbade me to take a walk outside, I had enough. Just like with that, I know she wanted to protect me, but confining me to the house wasn't the best way to help me heal. That's why I returned to Greenwood on New Year's eve to everyone's surprise. Since then I've been trying to live my life in the most normal way under the circumstances.

"This is what I call total relaxation." Harper opens her arms and lets the sea breeze ruffle her hair and clothes. "Whenever I'm here, I realize how on edge I'm all the time at Greenwood." She then stops in front of me and places her hands on my hips. "You've been quiet today."

"Not much going through my head, to be honest. Only hoping that Oliver's interview goes well next Monday. I feel slightly guilty that I didn't think of that opportunity at the library earlier, but I'm grateful Madeline did."

"I'm sure he will do well. I guess in our heads he's a teacher and being a librarian didn't quite fit the same profile. I'm just realizing that if he gets this job, the family will be complete in one place."

There's something else in my head besides Oliver, but I don't think it is the right time to bring it up. I'm not even sure if it's something I want for myself. She looks so happy at the idea of us four being together in one place that I don't want to burst the bubble.

"Oh, that's your uncle's stall!"

Before I can say anything, Harper sprints slightly towards Uncle Lewis market stall. We find him bagging pastries for a client, and he greets us with a grin the moment he sees us.

"Harper! Tristan! Good to see you again." He walks around the stall to give us a hug. "Taking a break from Greenwood?"

"In a nutshell," Harper says. "What do you have in here?"

Uncle Lewis grimaces. "I'm afraid all of this has real butter in it."

"I have pills for that. Don't tell Luke, but I like your pastries the most. Even if I have to take medication to tolerate them."

Uncle Lewis laughs and heads to grab a selection of pastries for us to bring home. "Have you heard the news from Michael?" He says casually.

"What news? Something with his book?" I ask.

"Book? No. Something more significant. Michael asked Mateo to marry him."

Harper and I look at each other, surprise on our faces. This is the biggest news we've heard related to Michael after his trip abroad.

"When did that happen?" I ask. "I spoke with Michael a few days ago and he didn't mention it."

"Yesterday evening. You might have heard that he spent Christmas with Mateo's family in Oakheart. Seems it went more than okay and he came back singing their praises. Then yesterday they went out for dinner and my boy went down on one knee."

"It's wonderful news!" Harper says. "Maybe Luke will be next, then."

"I always thought Luke would get married first, but there you go. We met Luke's friend Rebecca and her daughter Joy when they came over for Christmas. When Luke said they've only known each other for weeks, I couldn't hide my surprise. The way they are around each other is so natural that it seemed longer."