Chapter 23 - Joy

LUKE

Family and friends have surprised me today during the first day I'm open for business. Mom and Dad were the first people this morning to set a foot in here. They had seen the space several times during the renovations, but it filled me with joy to welcome them as my first customers.

After them, my cousins and Jordan stopped by on their way to work. Later on Jordan's dad and Erin came by with their chef Sam, who couldn't believe that the moist piece of cake he was eating was gluten-free. He even asked me if I could supply Moonlight House with a selection of frozen allergen-free desserts they can add to the menu. I had trouble containing my excitement, because that means I'll have a source of steady income, even if it's a small one.

"Papa made a mistake," Marissa says. "This cheesecake is so delicious. I don't know why he's so hard-headed. Replacing some ingredients in the right way doesn't mess with the taste. You've outdone yourself, Luke. The bakery looks amazing and I'm sure it will be a success."

I feel myself blush at Marissa's words. She's one of the few people who understood my vision and has supported me, even if it meant having a different opinion than her father. Thomas, Didier and Jimmy from Morgan Events are also here and have dared to try my lunch menu.

"This is the best tuna salad sandwich I've eaten in my life." Jimmy rubs his stomach. "Gluten-free bread and vegan mayo, who would have known? I'll give you a shout out tomorrow morning during my radio show. Can I have another to go?"

"Thanks, Jimmy. Any advertising I can get is welcome. I'll have your sandwich ready before you leave."

"If we are doing that, then I want another portion of this split-pea soup to go," Didier says. "Abigail is meeting with friends, and this will guarantee I have a decent dinner tonight."

"And count on us to get you orders for our weddings and showers," Thomas says. "You are not offended, right?" He says to his wife.

"On the contrary. I always knew Luke's talents were too big for O'Brien's. If anyone comes by and needs special foods, I will send them your way too. Of course, I need to be careful Papa doesn't hear me." She laughs, forks the last piece of chocolate cake from Thomas and eats it.

"Hey, that was mine! Luke, get me another and pack it with a padlock."

"I will. Thank you all for your support. I can barely believe this place is mine." I look around and feel proud.

"I'll tell you what," Marissa says while caressing her growing bump. "My baby shower is coming soon and I would love it if you make the sweets for it. I'm not even picky. You can choose whatever you want to make."

"Of course, I would love that! But wouldn't you want your dad to make them?"

"He won't make them." Thomas shrugs. "She's carrying my child, and he still hates me. He adores my mom, but for all I know, she never birthed me."

The group laughs. I believe that Seamus O'Brien only likes two people in this world.

"Wait until the baby is here and he'll forget all about Thomas," Marissa says. "Then the sweets for the shower are settled. Between family, friends and clients, there will be more than enough people trying your food. Anyway, I have to go back to the bakery or I'll eat your whole inventory. Thanks a lot and I wish you great success."

After serving their orders to-go and extra sweets for Marissa, I say goodbye to them and I'm left with a few people in the shop. I have a mix of weird feelings going through me: relief and anxiety. I'm finally operational, but I still need a steady flow of customers. Since this morning, curious people who walked by have entered and bought stuff, and right now, a couple sits by the window enjoying cups of soup. I made a starting menu for this week of a different soup and a sandwich for every day to see what sells best.