Chapter 20 - Patience

OLIVER

Dad looks relaxed as he updates me on town gossip. I can barely concentrate on what he's saying since my mind keeps replaying what he said. I've never considered myself above anyone, but it can't be my fault that I see reason or inefficiencies faster than my counterparty. It makes me feel impatient and irritable. I find being knowledgeable a good and valued trait. I feel as if I'm being asked to not be myself.

"I can't say I enjoy teaching online," Dad says. "But if it saves me the traffic to Greenwood, then I mind it less. I have to control myself because the most hilarious situations happen. I've seen cat butts, people walking in a room wearing a towel, and so on." He laughs.

"Yeah... Traffic is bad."

"I pushed your buttons, right?" He says, and I look at him before returning my eyes to the road. "You are barely listening."

"It's a lot to process. Dad, do you like your colleagues? As in, do you spend time with them during your free periods or lunch?"

"I do. Can't say that I like everyone, but I have dear colleagues who I have known since before you were born. Even after so many years, we go through the same difficulties and it feels good to be surrounded by people I can talk to and vent."

"Vent? You show up to class and give your lesson. Whether or not the students learn, it's their responsibility, no?"

"Is that how you think about your students?"

"No! Of course not, but yours are adults. There's a difference."

"Have you ever taught college?" He smiles. "How do you know the struggles?"

I don't answer. I taught adults getting their high school diplomas, but I always believed it was up to them to do their best to get their certificate.

"Oliver, we all love you the way you are and appreciate your intelligence and common sense-"

"You mean you guys tolerate that I'm not like everyone else?" My tone comes out more irritated than intended.

"I think it would be beneficial to you to become more open to someone else's opinions, perspective and ideas, including your girlfriend's. Who knows? Maybe you'll learn something new."

"Do you do that with Mom?"

Dad chuckles and rubs his aching knee. "Took me some time to learn that as well. Truth is, your mom is more intelligent than me and has a better common sense."

His admission makes me smile. "I'll try to talk to Madeline when I get back. Things were uncertain when we parted ways so I'm not even sure where we stand. Are you going back to Greenwood soon?"

"Well, Your mom and I discussed recently a few scenarios. I'm leaning more towards the one about retirement."

"Retirement? But you are only in your fifties. What will you do then?"

"Don't know yet. I started teaching when I was 25 years old. Basically, after turning in my thesis, I got called a week later with a job offer. I'll have so much free time that maybe I'll make sweet love to your mom as often as possible."

"Why you have to ruin this conversation?" I shiver with slight disgust and he laughs.

"Joke aside, I really don't know. This little accident showed me I need to enjoy my life to the fullest. My bones are patched from my car accident and a next fall can bring serious consequences. I know I will heal from this, but I notice I don't have the same strength as when I was younger. So instead of spending the next years in a classroom, I want to do something meaningful and where I can move freely as long as I can."