Chapter 5

I wake up and wince as I touch my cheek. I get out of bed and get dressed. As I look in my mirror I wince again as I see the nasty bruise on my cheek. I put on some makeup to try and cover the bruise and then grab my bag.

I walk out of my room and sigh in relief seeing that my dad is already gone. I grab some waffles and orange juice as Billy comes into the kitchen. "Morning sis." Billy says with a yawn. "Morning." I say as my waffles pop up from the toaster.

"You okay?" He asks after a few seconds of silence. "Yeah. Nothing out of the ordinary for us." I say as I put my waffles on a plate. "Bell-" Billy begins before I cut him off. "I'm fine Billy." I say sternly. Billy sighs and goes back to his room.

A few minutes later Max comes out of her room. "Morning Bella." Max says with a smile. "Morning Max." I reply with a smile of my own. "Are you okay?" Max asks after a few seconds just like Billy did. They hate each other but they are more alike than they realize.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't I be?" I ask trying to play dumb. "Bella I'm 13 I'm not stupid. I know what happened." Max says and I sigh. "I've gotten used to it. And good at covering up the aftermath." I say as I gesture to my cheek.

Max nods and decides to drop the subject. I finish my waffles and put my plate in the sink. Billy comes out of his room and he shares a glare with Max. "Let's go." Billy says as he walks out of the house to his Camaro.

I put a comforting hand on Max's shoulder and walk out of the house. Max shortly follows and gets into Billy's car. I let my seat up once she's fully situated and then I get in. Billy cranks up and drives us to school.