Chapter 35

One month later

I pull back Max's hair as I get her ready for the middle school dance. "Ow, that hurts." She says as I pin back her hair. "It's gonna be so worth it. Promise." I say with a smile. Billy walks past us and stares at Max and I. She glares at him and I turn Max's head back to me. "See, all done." I say with a smile. "Thanks." She says and gets up.

"Oh Max, baby you look beautiful." Susan says as she gives Max a hug. Max offers a small smile and Neil walks into the room. His reaction is similar to Billy's, he just startes at us and Max and I glare at him. "That's my date." I say with a small smile as the doorbell rings. "Have fun tonight Max." I say with a smile as I walk to the door.

"Woah." Steve says as he looks me in my dress. I laugh at his speechlessness and gently push him. "Let's go Harrington." I say and he nods. "Harrington!" Billy says and both Steve and I turn to look at him. "Take care of her." Billy says and I give him a grateful smile. "I will." Steve says with a nod and we walk to his car.

"Looking good tiger." I say to Dustin in the back seat. "Thanks." He says with a smile. "Everyone ready?" Steve asks and we nod. Steve drives to the middle school and stops out front. "Here we are." Steve says as we all look at the school. "So remember once you get in there-" Steve begins as he looks at Dustin. "Pretend like I don't care." Dustin finishes for him and I shake my head. "You don't care." Steve says with a nod. "I don't care." Dustin says confidently. "There you go, you're learning my friend. You're learning." Steve says with a nod.

Dustin moves in between Steve and I so he can look at himself in the mirror. "Hey, come on man, you look great, okay, you look great." Steve says as he pushes Dustin back into his seat. "You look great." Steve says again and Dustin nods. "Okay now you're gonna go in there." Steve says. "Yeag." Dustin says with a nod. "Look like a million bucks!" Steve exclaims. "Yeah!" Dustin says confidently. "And you're gonna slam down." Steve reassures Dustin. "Like a lion." Dustin says and then purs. I cringe and Steve opens his mouth to protest. "Don't do that okay." Steve says and Dustin nods in understanding.

"Good luck." Steve says as he grabs Dustin's hand. Dustin nods and gets out of Steve's car. "Go get em' tiger." I day with a smile and Dustin sends me a quick smile back. He walks into the school and Steve and I smile. "Alone at last." Steve says and I laugh. We share a quick kiss and then break away. "Let's go." I say and he nods and drives us to Enzos.