Your second and frankly better job

The bell to niki's bakery rang as Purpled entered, dog champ following close behind him.

"Purpled? Don't you have work?"

He shrugged at niki's question and plopped himself into a booth. He was tired.

(Tired of doing useless busy work. Tired of tiptoeing around schlat. Tired of dream breathing down his neck.
Tired. Tired. Tired.)

She just sent him a strained smile and set about making a sweet smelling tea.
"Well, i don't have any work for you today, you're the only customer I've had for a bit now."

"It's fine, I came to escape work anyway."

"Schlat running you ragged?"
"When is that asshole not?"

Niki hummed and sat the hot mug in front of him," he sends someone over every once in awhile, to 'make sure I'm not causing trouble' or something."

"Are you?" Purpled raised an eyebrow, the corner of his mouth twitching upwards.

"No, I've been kinda useless lately. I don't know what I'll do when it comes time to take action."
"Since you're not busy we could practice some combat. It could take your mind off things."
"I've only ever used a crossbow, I'm afraid I'm not much of a good practice partner."

Purpled pushed himself out of the booth," i don't mind."

The two find a secluded area in the nearby woods and practice hitting a target in silence. As the sun shines through the leaves purpled feels strangely calm, there is no enemy to kill and the weight of a crossbow is familiar.

Ultimately, it's niki who breaks the silence.

"I've never killed a person. I don't know if I'll be able to pull the trigger if it comes down to it."

Another arrow hits the target.

"Everyone feels that way the first time."
She turns to look at him, the corners of her mouth tilted down.
"I can't wait for this whole thing to be over."
He raises his crossbow again.
"Me too."

He wonders if he'll ever get to do this again. Spend a quiet afternoon with the closest person he has to a sister.

He pulls the trigger and watches the arrow hit the target.