Wheres the microphone

Wilbur passes the ground behind the stage they set up. It was almost time to make their speeches and schlat still hadn't shown up. And Wilbur couldn't decide whether or not that was for the best.

He pulled at the collar of his L'manburg uniform and wishes for the fifth time that he had chosen to wear absolutely anything else. In theory it was the perfect outfit for the speeches. The problem was that it was still tailored for someone who had wings.

He focused on breathing as not to throw up.

The other's speeches go by and Wilbur wouldn't be able to tell you what any of them were about. He can't even remember walking onto the stage they had all set up for the occasion.

Straightening his back, he gives his best smile and puts on the front of confident leader. The words falling from his mouth feel fake and he honestly has no idea what he is talking about but the crowd seem to eat it up.

Where the fuck is schlat.

But he keeps talking because it feels like the only thing he can do.

And everything seemed to be going well. His speech was almost done and the crowd was pleased. Maybe niki was right and he really had no reason to worry.

Then schlat just had to show up, drunk as hell.

"What'm I doing h're?"
"The... endorsement, you're here for the endorsement. Remember? I'm running for President?"
"Wha? Presdent? No. No, no. I'll be MY OWN president! I'll run myself!"
"No, you can't-"
"SCHLAT 2020!"

Fuck fuck fuck.

"That's all for now!" Tommy was dragging the drunk off the stage.

Dread filled Wilbur to the brim. How could he be so stupid? How could he expect to trust someone he hadn't seen in years when he couldn't trust one of his close friends not to stab him in the back? How could he know who to trust.

He dug his nails into his palms.

"Will?"

The worry in his brother's voice snapped him out of his spiraling thoughts. Looking over he saw Tommy standing with his face scrunched up and his arms crossed, brown feathers fluffed out.

"Hey tom, anything wrong?"
"Yah, you look like you need to take a shit."

A smile grew on his face.

"Oh shut up gremlin, there has never been a time when you haven't looked constipated."
"Wha- hey! Fuck you! I'm always the most handsomest man ever!"
"Whatever you say~"

He could trust Tommy. That would just have to be enough.