CHAPTER-23

This time Rowen ordered Mara and Lucas to guard me, although I had to agree with him much to my dismay because Rowen was one hell of an irrepressible bastard who won't listen to anyone but himself. And I hate to say it but he was somewhat correct, if I won't let my ego down, I would end up risking other lives. I sighed as I looked outside the large glass doors, where Lucas was looking around in his hound form, like a beast on a hunt. I sighed and looked at Mara who was on her laptop doing god knows what. I looked down at the assignment in my hand and sighed again.

"Are you finding any problem?" Mara said nodding at my assignments. I shook my head in denial.

"How long is he going to stand there?" I asked jabbing my thumb outside at Lucas.

"Oh, he will stand all night if required." She said. I rolled my eyes and snapped my books shut.

"Look you guys don't need to do these things for me okay? If I'll have a problem I'll call you."

"No happening sweet cheeks. Rowen would kill us if we as much as left this house." She smiled at me.

"The guest is opposite to my room, and if you need anything be free to call me. I'll be going to my room." I informed her. Mara nodded while I gathered my things and went straight to my room. Why do all these shits have to be so hard? I dialed Arora's phone number again, hoping that she would pick up but in vain. I felt angry and afraid at the same time. Rowen stated that she isn't dead and he would find her out by tomorrow early morning. I don't know who he was but somehow I trusted him. I rubbed my chest as a strange feeling settled in my heart. Go to sleep Azura, you are strong because you fight till the end.

I walked out of my room and was welcomed by the strong fragrance of coffee. "Mmm, you smell different human." I heard the deep rumble near my ear. I jumped in surprise and whirled around to glare at Lucas. 

"Back down doggy." I snapped and walked to the kitchen. Mara was already sitting on the kitchen stool sipping her coffee.

"Good morning," Mara beamed at me. I grunted while walking to the refrigerator. " Something happened sweet cheeks?" She asked. I took out the carton of milk and turned around to look at her.

"Lucas was sniffing me," I grumbled. She raised her eyebrows at that and snorted.

"And she called me a doggy!" Lucas exclaimed as he walked into the kitchen. "Can you believe it? A powerful demon like me who the world fears." He threw his hands in the air.

"Well aren't you one?" Mara mocked.

"I'll kill you if you call me that." He growled. Mara rolled her eyes and sipped her drink. All this time I prepared my cornflakes and sat on the stool ignoring Lucas. He stomped towards me and looked down at me.

"Well?" Liam stood beside me and crossed his muscular arms.

"What?" I asked.

"An apology would be great." He stated. I rolled my eyes and crunched my flakes.

"It was your fault in the first place," I said. Liam sighed and snatched Mara's cup and drank her coffee while Mara scowled at him.

"No, you smell different whenever you are around me." He stated shrugging his shoulders.

"Different how?" Mara asked scrunching her eyebrows.

"I can't pinpoint exactly but maybe ashes and ice? I don't know how to put it in words." I stared at his back as he walked out of the kitchen. 

"Why would he say that?" I mumbled.

"Don't worry about that, you are different Azura so you can't expect yourself to be like a common human."  She assured me although I could detect a line of concern on her face. The was silence for a long moment and I could hear the chirping of birds and buzzing of crickets in the forest. Well, perks of living near the forest. I looked up at Mara whose eyeballs turned black. She was talking to someone telepathically. Demons had this trait that their eyes would turn black whenever they did telepathic communication. I froze as I felt Rowen's mind touching mine.