III

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

┌── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┐

THE MORNING couldn't have started  on a worse note. My phone rang two hours before the alarm clock would have woken me up. The last time I'd heard from my mother was when I started university, as she tried to blackmail me into giving her money.

I had an older sister, the golden child. In my parents' eyes, she was the smartest, the prettiest, and the best person to exist. I was an accident, as they were planning  on having only one child. Their blatant favoritism had pushed mymy grandparents to take it upon themselves to start saving money for my education.

They weren't abusive, only neglectful. So, when my older sister wanted to go to a prestigious university, they gave her everything she had asked for. Until their business took a turn for the worse and they went bankrupt. Millie, my sister, had to take out multiple loans and was still in debt, working nine to five, everything she swore she wouldn't do.

Mom knew about the money my grandparents had left me and came begging for me to give it to my sister. In her words, she was the one with the brighter future. I told her to fuck off and went no contact with her for the past years, even ignoring the birthday text messages.

It was a surprise. I picked up the phone call, barely understanding that my mother had called. It was just a little after six in the morning, and since the evening prior was a movie night with Landon and Sophie, I didn't go to bed until two a.m.

❝Good morning, Erinella.❞ I winced at the name. Erinella was my full name, that I legally changed to Erin once I turned eighteen. To her, it was as if I was rejecting her choice of my name and proclaimed her to be a bad mother. I didn't disagree with the statement.

❝Get to the point, mother. I know you didn't call me just to chit-chat.❞

She had the nerve to sound offended, but she ignored it and began talking, ❝Your father and I came to visit Millie and heard that you haven't contacted her at all in the past year.❞

I snorted, ❝Okay, and?❞

❝You two are sisters. You should get along. She was heartbroken that you couldn't leave the past in the past so, I was thinking of having a family dinner tonight.❞

I couldn't suppress a laugh, ❝I'll have to decline that offer.❞

❝Don't you want to make everything right between us?❞ She questioned, and she was serious. She couldn't comprehend that she was the one in the wrong and that my reaction of cutting the entire family off was well deserved and a natural response to everything they've done to me.