| 10. 𝑹𝒂𝒈𝒆

Rage Rage
Rage is a funny place
Full of loose hand grenades
Where every hand is spades
~ Rage, Samantha Marget

Chapter 10. Rage

She looked at the beeping red light in the room. She turned to face the man-her bloodied face blooming with a disturbing smile before she turned back to the camera.

"Did I pass the test, big boss?" Her tone was snarky.

The man's eyes widened with surprise. How did she know someone was monitoring her and that person was the big boss himself?

His eyes raked over her grisly appearance-her white shirt soaked with warm crimson, a malignant smile on her red lips. Her eyes gleamed like emeralds with a fiery spark.

"Follow me," he said after a minute.

"Please," she urged.

The man looked around the dead bodies as a tired sigh left his lips; too much work to clean. Again.

He led her to the floor above.

Selena's eyes wandered as she stepped into the room. People looked at her differently. She walked alongside the man, matching his steps. Her head held high, unconcerned about her unkempt look.

He led her to a passageway opening out of a bright red wall. She took a small breath and walked in.

As she saw Rafael Sullivan's face, her hand itched to grab her strawberry. An annoying sensation rose deep within her. Fucking big boss. More like a big bitch.

But she was a good girl, so she controlled the urge to poke him lightly with her knife.

Her eyes darted around the room, analyzing everything. Alaric was the right-hand, standing beside the big boss. Fabian was the left-hand seated at the bar; the dark-skinned man was utterly bored by the situation.

She let out a charming smile. She did not even bother to put and act, or that she led them to believe.

Alaric was the first to be surprised when he saw the live footage. He could no longer trust anything that looked harmless and innocent. Such a good actress, he mumbled.

He should have killed her the moment he saw her in that alley.

Selena remained stagnant in the dimly lit room, a few feet away from the big bitch who sat on the chair that resembled a throne in admiration of his imperious aura.

Her eyes locked with the mighty man. Her sense heightened.

Hmm, she contemplated. Her chances of escaping unscathed were near fifty percent-if the big boss himself did not take part in it. He was a beast on the field. She would die.

But how could she let big bitch's ruse slip away this easily? He should know that she is not a woman to mess with.

Her body moved quickly. Her poison-laced claws grazed the big boss's jaw, earning a gasp from Alaric; no one had ever come this close to the boss.

Rafael grabbed her hand gracefully and pushed her against the nearest wall in a blink.

"You are trapped. There's nowhere to run now," Rafael taunted. She found herself trapped within his arms, his hands beside her face, and his upper body leaning close to her.

The situation resembled a delicate dance of a lamb caught between the canines of a lion.

"So tell me, Maeve," he crooned. his coice a velevety tempatation. "Ah, mistake, Selena," he clicked his tongue as his chest rumbled with a chuckle.