| 19. 𝑱𝒐𝒌𝒆𝒔 𝑶𝒏 𝒀𝒐𝒖

And now I'm laughin' through my tears
I'm cryin' through my fear
But baby, if I had to choose
The joke's on you
~ Jokes On You, Charlotte Lawrence

Chapter 19. Jokes On You

"Selena," her father's voice caught her attention, and she turned to find him standing with a grave expression. "We need to talk."

"Yes?"

"Let's discuss this in my office." Selena frowned at his words; they carried a sense of strain and foreboding.

Her heart skipped a beat. Had they discovered details about my past? No, that's impossible. Big Brother had covered all the tracks, and Hayate ensured everything remained in check.

Cautiously, Selena followed her father to his office, finding Maxim and Wilson already present. Both wore expressions of confusion, unsure why they were there.

The room felt stifling as her father took a deep breath, indicating the gravity of the impending conversation.

"Take a seat, Selena," her father gestured to a chair, his expression inscrutable.

She complied, anxiety churning in her stomach.

"Your birthday is approaching. It's in two days," Theodore said. Selena nodded, acknowledging the approaching milestone.

Maxim exchanged a strange glance with his father.

"As we suggested, keep things low-key and make sure your identity remains a secret. But the plans have shifted. I'm throwing a gala in your honor and presenting you to the world on your birthday on Friday."

"Okay, so that's when my birthday is. Seventeen glorious years of extravagant celebrations and grand parties, right?" Selena remarked to herself.

"Oh wait, that's right—none of that happened. Now, here I am, about to turn eighteen, and suddenly, it's time for a gala. Fashionably late to the birthday bash, Dad." She inwardly rolled her eyes.

Theodore sighed, a mixture of frustration and resignation etched on his face.

"Fuck!" he swore, his jaw clenched. Wilson and Maxim turned surprised; never before had they heard him utter such words.

"I made a contract three decades ago," he began, his tone heavy with regret.

"I wanted to marry your mother against all odds. Everyone, even your grandfather, was against it," he continued, his voice laced with bitterness. "Liliana faced threats to harm me, and she had miscarried twice due to the building stress."

Maxim's eyes widened, absorbing this newfound information about his mother.

"But your mother is a resilient lady. Even when the world turned against her, she stood steadfastly by my side, offering comfort. I couldn't bear seeing her in such pain, so I made a deal—a deal I never thought I would have to fulfill."

Theodore's gaze shifted to his daughter, and a dry chuckle escaped him. "No matter how superstitious this may sound, no daughter in the Mariano family has survived beyond five for all generations."

"Before that, they all perished due to various reasons. The only woman among the Marianos was from the founding family, Rosaline Su- Mariano, who got killed in a war. They say she cursed her own family for never supporting her. Ever since no girl survived in our family."

"And I, foolishly, believed I would never have a daughter," he added with a bitter smile, tears glistening in his eyes. "Yet here you are, my beloved child."

"I am so sorry," his jaw tightened.

Selena remained silent. "What was the deal, Father?" Maxim inquired, his voice on edge, and even Wilson tensed.