| 16. 𝑱𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒚, 𝑱𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒐𝒖𝒔𝒚

I'm so sick of myself
I'd rather be, rather be
Anyone, anyone else
My jealousy, jealousy
~ Jealousy, Jealousy, Olivia Rodrigo

Chapter 16. Jealousy, Jealousy

"You are hurrying the deal."

Theodore's head shook, a silent rebuttal to the unspoken pressure.

"You are backing out?" Richard's eyes narrowed, a piercing gaze that bore into Theodore's conscience. "Don't forget that I helped you when everyone turned their back on you."

Gritting his jaw, Theodore attempted to reason. "Richard, listen-"

"No, it's time you uphold your part of the deal." Richard leaned back, a confident smirk playing on his lips.

A hiss escaped Theodore's lips. "She is not eighteen."

"But she will be in four days," Richard retorted, reveling in the discomfort that crossed Mariano's face. "You made the decision. Keep your word," he warned, the underlying threat echoing in the air.

"Don't make me call a meeting of the five families for this," Clemonte spoke with a tone of finality. "If I do, you will lose your face."

Theodore knew he could never let this deal happen, ever.

"Your daughter will marry my son Xavier when she turns eighteen."

----

Envy is one of the seven deadly sins-ingrained in the wretched souls of all humans. It was up to us whether we accepted it or not. But everyone at the Imperial Academy envied the new girl, that was for sure.

After only three weeks at the Imperial Academy, she had made friends with the elite group. Hernandez, Walsh, Harrington, Spade, Mariano, and a fucking Sullivan.

A group made up of big names who were known for their glory. The elite group. The sweet and harmonious group, filled with friendship and love.

Hehe. Bullshit.

Only a few could see through the laughter and how each used the other for their own gain.

It was the dark truth of high society. You never know who would stab you in the back as you puke the betrayal in crimson or maybe fresh green notes.

Selena sat in the Data Structure class, listening to the students gossip behind her. Her head lowered, and her ears perked up.

"I saw her come with the young Mariano today. Again."

"What?!"

"As per my research, she is Wilson's illegitimate daughter. The man who is known as the loyal dog."

The new information caused the students to gasp, lowering their voices.

Few pitied her birth, while others ridiculed it.

Taking out a notebook, she scrolled her phone until the teacher arrived. Oh, what an eventful morning it was, her lips curled.

"Garold," Selena sighed, getting out of the car. "My father is a dedicated man to the clan's ethics. I need to live up to that. It's not easy, but I will try," she forced a smile. The blue-haired man scowled. Why was she in such a foul mood?

She could see everyone's eyes widening as they talked. She thanked Garold and exited the car on her way to the class.

Garold shouted at her. "Selena, please wait." Selena turned around. "Let me know if someone bullies you because of your past," he whispered, looking around. "I will take care of them." Everyone acted oblivious.