| 9. 𝑻𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒃𝒍𝒆

We wear red so they don't see us bleed
~ Trouble, Valerie Broussard

Chapter 9. Trouble

"All I want to do is travel around the capital. Moreover, this is my first time here," Selena explained.

"No," grumbled Theodore. Selena resisted the impulse to lash out at him. She had to leave. If there had not been so many guards and attention on her, she would have left discreetly. But no, Theodore Mariano had arranged for an entire squad to watch her.

How convenient!

She knew he only wanted to keep her safe, but his protective nature bordered on absurdity. She wondered if he would insist on holding her hand while crossing the street.

"Leave her alone," Liliana said. In betrayal, Theodore looked at his wife. It was not safe for her to leave the house. Not when people were eyeing his daughter like a piece of meat.

Liliana granted her permission to leave. "Bring Garold," she suggested. Selena smiled warmly at her mother. Liliana's spirits rose as she saw her daughter nearing.

Selena smiled inside and turned on her heels, eager to leave.

"I am the head of the household. You're going against my word."

"And I am the lady of the house-your equal half. My words are as important as yours."

Liliana laughed as she cupped her sulky husband's face in her hands. "If you stop her now, she will only grow apart from us. Accept her, and the girl will begin to accept us," she said, pecking his nose.

"Again," he grunted.

"What?"

"Kiss me again. I'll agree."

Liliana burst out laughing. She rose to her toes and kissed his cheeks with a peppery touch. A big smile crept across his face. "Now go work," she said, patting his cheek, and walked back to the garden, leaving him grinning.

----

"Where are we going, Selena?" Garold asked as he started the car. Finally, the girl had convinced the burly bodyguard to call her name and not miss. Mariano's rules were aggravating to her. Rules and she never set well.

"It's a body spa. I need to relax my body and have a self-care day," Selena explained as she showed him the GPS location.

Selena gazed out the window at the bustling metropolis.

The luxury building with the pristine white 'K' logo emerged on its horizon. It was a seven-story building with a value and reputation that would make high society drool.

And make them spend money on water.

The Knight Corporation rose rapidly-making many competitors worried and attracting numerous enemies. However, Knighthood managed to handle all their foes except for the five families, who were too powerful to touch.

The company focused on strengthening its position in the legitimate business world and gathering information about the families, patiently waiting for the right moment to take action while Knighthood worked in the dark.

Knighthood knew that facing the families would require more than just brute force-it would demand cleverness and a deep understanding of the secretive world of five families.

Her chest swelled with pride as she surveyed the empire she had built from the ground up. Yes, she was a part of Knighthood.

Selena's eyes grew dim as she scrolled through her phone, ignoring the voices in her head.