| 30. 𝑯𝒂𝒑𝒑𝒊𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒓

I don't relate to you
I don't relate to you, no
'Cause I'd never treat me this shitty
You made me hate this city
~ Happier Than Ever, Billie Elish

Chapter 30. Happier Than Ever

The girl thrashed in her captor's grasp, her bony hands struggling against his grip as he dragged her from the cold concrete floor. She fought him with all the strength she had left, but it was no use. He was too strong.

"Leave me alone," she spat, her voice hoarse from screaming. But Carl only growled in response-his fingers digging into her flesh like talons.

"Behave," Carl snarled, shoving her towards the metal chair in the corner of the room.

"What can you do? You have already starved me, beat me, burned me, cut me, and forced me to kill. What worse can you do?" she hissed. Her eyes blazing with a fiery determination that made him grit his teeth.

He glared at her, his gaze darkening with anger. This girl was impossible to break. No matter what he did to her, she never broke. He needed to find a way to extinguish that fire in her, to make her submit to him.

A cruel smile twisted his lips as he approached her, his hand reaching out to caress her cheek. But she recoiled from his touch, turning her face away from him.

"Oh, dear," Carl crooned, his voice dripping with mock sympathy. "There are many worse things in this world than what you mention." he leaned in closer, his breath hot on her ear. "And trust me, my dear, you will experience them all."

She was ten.

Perfect.

"Hold her tight." The girl writhed in pain as Carl's goons held her tight. Her body contorted in every possible way, trying to break free from the vice-like grip of her captors.

"What are you doing?" she screamed, her voice hoarse from the countless times she had already cried out in agony. But her pleas fell on deaf ears as Carl chuckled and ordered his men to hold her tighter.

In a sudden rage, Carl's hand whipped across her face, leaving behind a stinging sensation that seared her skin. She tasted the metallic tang of blood in her mouth; she knew her lip had been split open.

The man holding her jaw sneered down at her, his eyes blazing with malice. "Behave, bitch," he growled, his grip tightening with every passing moment.

But the girl refused to give up. She spat in his face, relishing the feeling of power that surged through her. The room was filled with stunned silence-as Carl's men looked on in shock. But then Carl's face twisted with fury, "Release her," he ordered his goons to release her.

As she stumbled forward, her eyes darted back and forth, searching for escape. But Carl was not finished with her yet. He strode towards her, his footsteps echoing off the concrete walls.

"Now, that was not a good thing," he said, his voice silky smooth and dangerous.

The girl felt a cold shiver run down her spine. She knew that Carl was a master at breaking people, at turning them into mindless automatons who would obey his every command.

But she wasn't going to let him win. She steeled herself for whatever came next, her eyes fixed on Carl's every move.

"I am good at making bad 'objects' into obedient objects-who would listen to my every single word," Carl said, his hand snaking out to grab her jaw.

The girl gritted her teeth against the pain, determined not to let him see her weakness. But deep down, she knew that she was running out of options.

The girl's blood boiled as Carl referred to her as an object. She refused to be just another lifeless thing for him to control. Her fist clenched, ready to strike him in the face, but Carl grabbed her hand. His grip was tight. He knew she was not trained to fight back-yet.