Secrets

Steve lifted his hand, touching my cheek, he turned my face so I was looking right up at him.

" I told you I would be seeing you soon. You belong to me Sarah, let's go home."

I didn't even realize I was screaming in horror, Steve's hand shooting up and wrapping around my neck. Lifting my small body up from the ground, cutting my airway off as I began to suffocate.

"If I can't have you, no one can."

"Ava? Ava?"

My eye's fluttered open as I struggled to wake up. James helped me sit up, trying to take deep breaths in between coughs.

"Just breathe," James rubbed my back, I nodded my head as I let it hang in between my legs, drawing my knees up to my chest.

Finally, my breathing steadied

I looked over at James, giving me a sweet supportive smile. Gently I cupped his cheek, the stubble poking my hand but felt oddly comforting.

"I thought you were dead." I whispered, my bottom lip trembling by how real the dream felt. James hand covered mine, pulling it to his lips and kissing my palm.

"No I'm still here. And I don't plan on leaving anytime soon."

When he kissed my palm, a fire exploded inside of my stomach. A feeling I had never felt before, it was delicious and scary. His beautiful blue eyes searching mine, almost letting me know that I would always be safe with him.

Without realizing it, my body started to lean into his. When he saw me move in, he started to do the same. I felt his breath hit my lip when Stephen walked in on us.

Stephen halted in the doorway as he looked around confused.

"I'm sorry, am I interrupting something?"

"Not anymore," James said annoyingly, sitting down next to me on the couch, his hand sliding away from mine, leaving an empty dull feeling.

Stephen walked into the living room, sitting in the armchair across from us, mostly studying my face.

"Did you have a nightmare?"

"Yes."

"Unfortunately that's normal with people who have suffered PTSD."

"You would know asshole," I snapped back at him.

Stephen squeezed his eyes shut, nodding his head.

"I deserve that. But you have to understand Ava, I had good reason to involve you. Even with all the horrible things that happened to you."

"That's a bullshit excuse to make yourself feel better."