Retrace

Having Bucky stare at me was one thing, but having Stephen and Loki look at me as well made me feel as small a mouse.

"How...how can you say something like that to me?" My voice shook as I stared at the ground. Too scared to look up or else I would cry.

"Ava, look..." Stephen began, but I cut him off.

"HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT TO ME?! OF ALL FUCKING PEOPLE!?"

Glaring at them, I grabbed the sweater Stephen had loaned me the night before and walked towards the front door.

"Ava!" Bucky took a step after me, but Stephen stopped him.

"Let her go, she needs some time to think."

Stomping down the front steps, I walked out into the busy street and follow the flow of people.

Angrily, I wiped my cheeks with the palm on my hand.

How the hell did he have the gull to say that to me?

After everything that fucking monster put me through?!

The nights I'd lay awake screaming for help and mercy.

Every broken bone Steve had ever given me.

And I, all of fucking people, had to be the one to show him mercy?!

I had to be the one to take the high road?!

Fuck that.

Fuck this.

Rounding the corner, I came across a familiar building . The big white letters that said Daily Bugle.

It was my job.

Carefully, I covered my face with the hoodie as I walked into the lobby. People walking in and out, I headed towards the elevators. Something was telling me to go to the 3rd floor.

When I stepped into the elevator, there were people on the phone, some holding laptops, and others just trying to avoid any interaction.

Once the doors opened up, I stepped out, surprisingly enough, no one paid attention to me. Walking down the hallway, I noticed all the framed articles on the wall.

Avengers.

Thor.

Captain America.

Stopping dead in my tracks, I looked at Steve's face.

His hand on his forehead saluting, wearing his uniform, he had a sadistic grin on his face, standing in front of the American flag.

Too many people were around for me to break the goddamn frame.

Sucking all the saliva in my mouth to the tip of my tongue, I spit on the frame, watching it trail down Steve's face.

I continued to walk down the hallway until I stopped in front of door, labeled news room.

Pulling a shaky hand out of the sweaters pocket, I reached over and opened the door. Luckily it was empty, I must have made it just as everyone was taking their lunch break.

Inside were rows of desks with computers. Alongside the wall there were 20 flat screen tv's, mounted ontop of one another, playing the news from each state and some different countries.

Walking around the rows of computers, each one labeled with a different number at the top corner of each computer screen.

One in particular caught my attention.

346.

346?

Pulling the chair out, I quickly sat down and began to open up the files on the hard drive.