Chapter 7

"it's a mad, mad, world we live inso, lock your doorsthere's nothing for you out here

so, lock your doors
there's nothing for you out here."
- Mad World (feat. REMMI), UNSECRET

I'm frozen, my only movement is the rising and falling of my chest as I start to hyperventilate. Stuck, staring down at Willow's food and water bowl on my kitchen floor, along with her favourite toys.

My eyes flood with tears as I'm hit with the full force of her absence. I start to tremble, my legs going weak while my stomach churns.
I try to keep the sobs from escaping, but it's no use. I'm at the mercy of my emotions. My insides feel like they are crumbling, dropping me to my knees.

"Hey, hey, hey-" Shane says, suddenly at my side. "What's wrong? What is it?"

But I'm wracked with sob after sob, drawing in sharps breaths, unable to answer.

Shane pulls me to his him, hugging me to his chest, as we move down to the kitchen floor. "Shh, shh, shhh." He soothes, placing a firm hand on the back of my head, holding me in place. His other hand rubs my back as I cry into his chest, my tears no doubt soaking his shirt. Until a sob catches in my throat and breathing becomes a struggle.

"Hey-" Shane pushes us apart and holds my face in both his hands. "Deep breaths, come on." I can barely see him through my watery eyes but I hear him deep breathing. "Come on Mia, in through your nose." We inhale together. "Out through your mouth." We exhale. "That's it. Again."

We repeat this a few more times until I'm weeping. Shane pulls me in to another hug and tells me to keep breathing. And soon I start to become more physically aware of his warm hold on me, as well as his scent as I continue deep inhales through my nose.

I feel so safe and secure in his arms.

Eventually my breathing calms and there's only a steady stream of tears flowing down my face. Shane rubs my back softly, his touch so tender. I close my eyes and my head moves softly with his rising chest as he breathes with me.

"I'm sorry.." I mumble in a whisper. Shane loosens his grip on me, so I can move.

I lean back against the kitchen counter and opposite me, Shane leans back against my fridge. He bends his left knee up to lean on it and extends his right leg out alongside my body, his shoe reaching the counter.

"..Who was it?" he asks, breaking the silence.

Tears brimming again, my eyes move from his to the photo of Willow and I on the fridge behind him. It's a photo of the two of us, at a beach in Florida. He looks over his shoulder, following my line of sight, then reaches up and tugs on the photo, bringing it down and holding it in his lap.

I look away, over to her bowls and toys, my eye lids heavy. I feel so drained, and so empty inside.

"Boy or girl?" Shane gently asks.