Chapter 31

"'cause they will run you down, down 'til you falloh, way down we go

down 'til you fall
oh, way down we go."
- Way Down We Go, KALEO

We return to the farm and back into the little wooden shack Randall goes.

I inform the group that he knows Maggie and Hershel and that we got overrun.

"Rick wants to take the night to think on it and hopefully have a new plan in the morning." I conclude.

"What happened to you?" Glenn asks Shane, as he and Rick join us.

"I'd say you should see the other guy, but he's standing right here." Shane says, gesturing to Rick, who's face looks just as battered as his.

"We had a.. disagreement." Rick explains.

"A childish disagreement." I mumble.

"Okay, yes, I'll agree to that." Rick comments.

Rick then further explains his intentions with Randall, concluding that we'll reconvene in the morning.

We all disperse and I lead Shane to the RV, where I duck inside and grab a cloth and some water. Then we sit down under a tree and I start cleaning up his face.

He has a small laceration on the bridge of his nose, one above his left eyebrow, another on his jawline and a split top lip. 

I wet the cloth and wipe away the blood, leaving his cuts looking smaller than they first appeared. When I'm done, I place a kiss on his forehead.

"Thank you, sweetheart." Shane murmurs, a small smile forming on his battered face. I return a smile but then his face drops. "I'm sorry." he says. "I'm sorry we lost our shit today.. It was stupid and dangerous."

"I'm sorry, too."

"For what?" Shane questions.

"Firing that gun.. I could have gotten us all killed."

Shane shakes his head. "You wouldn't have had to fire that gun if we hadn't been acting like assholes."

"True." I say lightly and Shane snickers.

"Those walkers were comin', whether you fired your gun or not. I shattered that window. And we were all yellin'." he adds. I nod and stare at the ground with a frown. "What is it?" Shane asks softly.

"While you too were fighting.. I pointed my gun in Randall's face." I confess.

Shane wears a look of pity before he tries to pull me into a hug.

"No-" I push him away. "Are you listening, Shane? I considered it. I thought about pulling the trigger.. That's like premeditation or murderous intent or something. I-"

"Hey, look at me." Shane brings his hand to my face. "You're not a bad person, Mia. You're one of the best. Nothing's gonna change that because that's just who you are. The kid? I've thought about shootin' him. Rick's thinkin' about it right now. So you thought about it, so what? You didn't do it, did you?"