Chapter 19

Ghosts in the River by AG

"Everybody takes a weapon." Rick states, unfurling the wrap of machetes Carl found yesterday across the bonnet of a car.

We all gather around, everyone taking turns picking a machete but I hang back, letting everyone else take a weapon.

I have my ka-bar strapped on my waist, my throwing knives strapped on my thigh and my combat boots with their retractable blades. I am good to go.

"These aren't the kind of weapons we need. What about the guns?" Andrea questions, still annoyed about not having her gun.

"We've been over that." Shane says. "Dale, Rick and I are carrying. Can't have people poppin' off rounds every time a tree rustles."

"It's not the trees I'm worried about." Andrea comments.

"Say somebody fires at the wrong moment, herd happens to be passing by, see then it's game over for all of us. So you need to get over it." Shane tells her sternly.

Andrea scowls at Shane but remains silent as she steps forward and picks a machete.

"We'll take the creek up, 'bout five miles, turn around, come back down the other side." Daryl explains. "Chances are she'll be by the creek. It's her only landmark."

"Stay quiet, stay sharp. Keep space between you but always stay in sight of each other." Rick says.

Everybody gets ready to leave.

"Dale, keep on those repairs, we gotta get this RV ready to move." Shane says while I tie my long hair back into a braid.

"We won't stay here a minute longer than we have to." Dale assures. "Good luck out there. Bring Sophia back."

Shane pats Dale on the shoulder and then turns to me.

"Ready to go, little ninja?" he asks, looking me up and down.

A little smirk plays on my lips.

Dressed in my black skinny jeans, black fitted top with a low turtle neck and adorned with knives, I do kind of feel like a ninja.

"I'm not going out there without my gun." Andrea says.

Shane and I turn our attention to her as she confronts Dale.

"What do you think's gonna happen? I'm gonna stick it in my mouth and pull the trigger the moment you hand it to me?"

"I'm just looking out for you." Dale tries to tell her.

"Looking out for me? You took my choice away from me, Dale. Jenner gave us a choice. I chose to stay. If I decided that I had nothing else to live for, who the hell are you to decide otherwise?"

"I saved your life." he says.

"No, Dale, I saved yours." Andrea counters. "All I wanted after my sister died, was to get out of this endless, horrific nightmare we live everyday. But I didn't want your blood on my hands and that is the only reason I left that building. You forced that on me."

"I'm sorry." Dale says, looking defeated.

"I'm not your problem, Dale." Andrea concludes and walks away.

Dale and I lock eyes.

I had warned him she would resent him.. I hate that I was right.

"Just let her have some time and space." I say quietly to him. "And give her a little credit. She's already had ample opportunities to end it and she's still here."