Chapter 26

"tease you with my fingertips,play with the haste that's on my lips,hold me closerand breathe into me

play with the haste that's on my lips,
hold me closer
and breathe into me."
- Breathe Into Me, Marian Hill

"Still pissed at me, huh?" Shane asks.

I glare moodily out the car window.

"You know I'm sorry, right?"

"I know." I mumble.

"Okay, just as long as you know.." he says. "..Can I talk?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, so we're just checking out a housing estate, near the farmhouse Daryl found. It was part of a new estate being built but it hasn't been finished." Shane explains. "It's just the one street of houses, we should be able to make quick work of it. You gonna be up to it?"

"Of course." I answer bluntly.

"Okay."

He doesn't deserve my mood swings.. Time to get over myself and get my shit together. We have a job to do.

We pull into the suburban street. There's abandoned cars scattered everywhere. Shane pulls the car to a stop in the middle of the street. We get out quietly and he takes a look down each end of the street with binoculars.

"Gonna have to go house to house." he says, keeping his voice low. "Start one half of the street, work our way back to the car. If it's safe, we'll continue with the other half."

"If Sophia got this far, she has a real shot, don't you think?" I ask, feeling hopefully again. But Shane looks at me, unconvinced.

We comb through house after house. Some are clean, like the people who once resided here just up and left. Some are trashed, things everywhere, tables overturned. One kitchen has the hallway plastered and blocked up, save for a hole broken in it, that we have to crawl through, which leads to a pile of walker bodies.

The next house we go into torched their garage, the whole room black and charred. And in the middle of the room- human carcasses, also black and charred. The smell is horrid and there are flies everywhere.

Soon enough, we make it back to the car and look around at the other end of the street. Everything still seems calm and quiet, so we continue to search the rest of the houses.

Upstairs in one of the homes, it appears someone tried to barricade themselves in one of the bedrooms. I cautiously enter through the kicked-in door and stand in the middle of the room. Slowly, I turn and look around.

Bloodstains over the floor, blood smears over the wall.. blood in the baby cot-

I quickly look away and will myself not to vomit.. In my haste to leave the room, I bump into Shane in the hallway as he exits the neighbouring bedroom.