Chapter 11

"but wherever you liveand wherever you are, they'll follow you home

and wherever you are,
they'll follow you home."
- Think We're Not Alone, SAFIA

Amy's been hiding in the RV for a couple of hours now.

We haven't been able to reach Glenn and the others again. We have no idea just how trapped they are, if they've been able to find a way out or if they're goners.

It's hard to sit here and do nothing. But more of us entering the city could mean an even bigger loss. We can't risk that.

I sit with Shane, helping him clean Dale's rifle. Lori sits opposite us, giving Carl a haircut. Keeping myself busy with the rifle, I sit quietly while Shane talks to Carl about catching frogs and how they'll be hero's for feeding everyone 'Cajun style Kermit legs.'

I think I'd rather go hungry.

My body stills when I hear a faint sound start to echo through the silence of camp. A faint sound of a car alarm.

Shane jumps up immediately, jogging to the RV. "Talk to me, Dale."

Dale tries to find the source of the noise through his binoculars. The noise is increasing in volume, meaning whatever it is must be approaching. I get up and join Shane as Lori grabs hold of Carl and Carol grabs Sophia.

"Can't tell yet." Dale answers Shane while he surveys the area.

Amy finally exits the RV. "Is it them? Are they back?" she asks.

"I'll be damned.." Dale says.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Stolen car, is my guess." he answers.

We all stand at the RV and look down the drive, waiting cautiously for the vehicle to approach camp.

A red sports car finally comes into view and the alarm reaches peak volume. I try to contain my inner panic at the loud noise as the car pulls up just in front of the RV. Glenn gets out of the drivers seat, a big smile on his face.

"Holy crap, turn that damn thing off!" Dale yells at him.

Shane marches toward the car as Glenn spreads his arms out in a casual shrug. "I don't know how." he says, still smiling.

And then everyone starts shouting.

"Pop the hood, please." Shane says angrily.

Amy yells overtop of him. "My sister!"

"Would you pop the damn hood, please!"

"Is she okay?!"

The car alarm continues to blare while Shane, Amy and Glenn all yell at the same time.

"POP THE DAMN HOOD, PLEASE."
"Andrea! Is she okay?!"

"Okay, okay, okay! Yeah, yeah, yeah!" Glenn gets in and pops the hood.