Chapter 40

"to know when to run is to know when to fight,oh, don't close your eyesjust find a way out when it's do or die

is to know when to fight,
oh, don't close your eyes
just find a way out
when it's do or die."
- No Rest For The Wicked, Klergy

"What the hell is that?!" Shane yells at the others as we enter the office.

"Geeks, on the skybridge. They've broken through the glass." Rosita responds, staring at the screen in front of her. "They're falling outside."

I stand behind her and look at the screen. Sure enough, walkers are disappearing from the hall through the now glassless opening in the wall.

"We need to shut it off, now!" Shane states. "It's gonna draw every walker in the state! We have people outside!"

"How do we shut it off?!" I shout.

"We can't! It's an automatic response, to signal the broken windows." Siddiq says.

"What if we kill the generators?" I ask.

"No! You kill them, you kill all our power. We need it." Siddiq replies.

"You won't be alive to need it if this noise keeps up!" Shane yells as he paces. "This place will be surrounded."

"You kill the generators, we're done! There is no camouflage!" Rosita yells back.

"Get the Sergeant back on the radio, now!" Javier commands. Rosita jumps up and runs to the next room.

"Shane!" Daryl's voice calls from the walkie in Shane's hand.

Shane looks at all the monitors. "It's just the hall alarm that's goin' off?" he asks. I look at all the monitors. All the walkers in B Wing are on the move to the skybridge. 

"Affirmative." Eugene answers.

"Shane! Mia?!" Daryl tries again.

"So we just gotta stop the ringer.." Shane says as he brings the walkie to his mouth. "Daryl."

"What's going on?" Daryl asks.

"Nothin'. Alarm just went off."

"Yeah, no shit! You're ringing the dinner bell! Walkers are coming from everywhere!" Daryl yells.

"Hang tight, D." Shane says, taking one last look at the monitors. "Hey Doc, think I still got any camouflage left?" Shane asks as he marches out the room, not waiting for an answer.

I follow close behind as he runs back to the sky bridge. Shane passes me the walkie and picks up the axe. I tuck the walkie into my waistband and help him open the doors.

"You really gonna go back in there?" T-Dog comments as he rushes in to help.

We get the doors open and Shane passes me his handgun before we once again, make our way back onto this wretched skybridge.