Chapter 39

"you are the onewho makes me feel less crazy

"you are the one
who makes me feel less crazy."
- You Are The One, SAFIA

The three walkers stumble over each other, falling through the now open doorway, and my stomach lurches right up into my throat.

Shane steps back, giving them room to enter but apart from that, he makes no attempt to defend himself.

Eyes glued to Shane on the screen before me, I watch helplessly, as the three walkers corner him in the vault. But instead of rushing in to rip his flesh from his bones, they hesitate and face off with him.

Seconds tick by and the walkers stand there, almost looking like normal people standing around having a conversation, if not for their rotting appearances and bad posture.

"Look at them.." Siddiq mutters in disbelief.

One of the walkers takes another step towards Shane and I squeeze T-Dogs hand even tighter. But the walker just shoulder barges Shane on its way past, looking for something more enticing to sink its teeth into. The other two do the same, completely uninterested in Shane.

Shane walks calmly out of the vault and presses a button on the outside. The vault door closes, locking the walkers in while he picks up his axe and leaves the lab.

"They just walked right past him.." Siddiq says, the only one able to find his voice right now. "They walked right past him, like he was nothing."

I hear fingers typing on the keyboard and the screens change to new angles, to follow Shane as he makes his way back through the facility. But first, Shane stops in the hall outside the vault, bending down to some of the walker bodies that lay of the floor.

I squint at the screen until I realise he's retrieving my knives from the bodies.

Then he continues on his way.

"Hey.." T-Dog says softly. I turn my face in his direction but keep my eyes on the screens. On Shane. "Hey." T tries again. I begrudgingly shift my eyes to T-Dog and see he's smiling at me. "Ya man's gonna be okay, Meels."

I breathe out a short laugh, my eyes filling with even more tears. Then I remember to give T-Dog his hand back and apologise for my death grip. I look back at the monitors and watch Shane strut his way through halls.

A big grin spreads across my face and I can't help but laugh at him and his cocky ass swagger.

I turn and look at the others. They're all smiling and laughing and embracing. T-Dog wraps his arms around my waist, lifts me up and spins. I look back at the screens and see Shane walking through the cafeteria.

"The skybridge." I say, my smile falling. We can't let Shane back in while all the walkers still crowd the doors.

Everyone goes quiet and T-Dog puts me back down.