Chapter 10

"boy, if you wanna go i would not mindbut i'm not the kind of drum you play one time

i would not mind
but i'm not the kind of drum
you play one time."
- One Time, Marian Hill

Glenn places a hand on my shoulder, abruptly breaking the spell Shane has me under and reminding me we're not alone.

I remove my hand from Shane's chest and pull off my headphones. Shane drops his hand from my waist but stays close.

"That was so good!" Glenn announces happily, and a bit loudly.

"Shhh." I hiss, holding my forefinger over my lips. I laugh when he pulls an 'oops' face and removes his headphones.

"That was great, Mia. I didn't realise how much I've missed music." he whispers and I smile at him.

Andrea and Amy make their way over, handing me their headphones and thanking me. Glenn passes me his pair too and bids goodnight to everyone. Andrea backs away hesitantly, looking between Shane and I, before turning and leaving with Amy. I watch them all disperse and breathe out a silent sigh, nervous to face Shane.

I walk straight to where I left the box for the headphones, instead. Crouching down, I drop the headphones in the box before picking the whole thing up. I stand, box in hand, and finally turn to Shane.

He's watching me, his hands down in front of him, fiddling with his headphones as he shifts his weight. I make my way over to him, my eyes flitting between his face and the box in my hands. Stopping in front of him, I look up at into his eyes, and he looks into mine, analysing me. I give him an innocent smile. He drops his gaze to the box I'm holding and places his headphones inside.

"Thanks." he mutters softly and my smile grows.

"Thanks for dancing. I knew you had it in you." I say, and he lets out a little chuckle. We continue to look into each other's eyes, both trying to figure the other out. I have to break the silence before another spell is cast. "..I hope you had fun-"

"I did." he assures me, with a nod of his head. My eyelids flutter a little at his genuine tone.

"I'm glad." I smile.

"Did you?" he asks.

"Absolutely. Took it out of me though." I answer with a laugh. "I'm gonna try and get some sleep. Do you want me to put the fire out?"

"No, I got it." he insists. "I'm gonna sit up for a bit."

"Okay.. Goodnight, Shane."

"Goodnight, Mia."

I turn away from his sweet face and quickly make it back to my tent, slumping onto my sleeping bag.

Holy shit.

Did I really nearly kiss him? And in front of everybody?! I knew Shane was magnetic, but apparently he's intoxicating as well. Thank god Glenn was there. How embarrassing..