Chapter 35

"please don't slip away'cause my heart can't take it,don't let this be the end

'cause my heart can't take it,
don't let this be the end."
- Slip Away (feat. Ruelle), UNSECRET

Shane's POV

Driving away from that farm without her, it's one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. But that place was a shitstorm and it had to be done.

Walkers swarmin' our vehicle wasn't the reason I complied. She said she'd go with Rick. Those two could make it out of anything together. Don't make it any easier though.

My body is as tense as ever and I've never gripped a steering wheel so tight in my life. Pretty sure Andrea and Dale are sick of my constant string of curses, but I don't fuckin' care. Until I see her again, I ain't forgiving myself for driving away. Whether it spared the lives of the three of us in this truck or not.

The one landmark we have is the highway, so that's where I'm heading.

We jump on the highway at dawn and I drive down to where we left supplies for Carol's girl.

"Glenn and Maggie made it." Andrea says beside me as we spot the green Tucson. Dale stirs awake between us.

Old guy's doin' alright, considering I'd amputated his hand last night. And after our initial getaway, we'd pulled over and tried cauterising his wrist with a lighter and a knife. He's yet to turn or even develop a fever so, seems my spur of the moment idea has payed off.

Glenn and Maggie hop out the car as we approach. I pull up behind them and Andrea and I get out, leaving Dale in the truck to rest.

"Good job, kid." I tell Glenn. He gives me a quick hug and I clap him on the back.

Last night, he'd put up a great fight before getting swarmed. He and his girl managed to make it out and back here on their own. I'm impressed. As good as it is to see familiar faces, they aren't the one I want to see. Aren't the one I need to see.

"The others?" Maggie asks me.

"We got separated, but they'll be here. They'll be here." I say, trying to convince myself as well as her.

Glenn and Maggie check on Dale while I start pacin'. This waitin' is gonna drive me insane.

Fifteen minutes later, give or take, the roar of Dixon's bike echoes across the highway. We all stand to attention and wait.

As he comes into view, I can see he has someone with him. Please be her.

The longer I watch, the bigger the lump in my throat grows. But the lack of long, golden hair flowing in the wind behind Daryl proves its not her with him.

Goddamnit.

She did say she'd go with Rick though.

Daryl comes and parks his bike by our vehicles, Carol on the back. Amelia was obviously successful in helping her. Of course she was.