Chapter 21

"you're so cold,they're so near,they're closing in, don't let 'em smell your fear,you gotta run

"you're so cold,
they're so near,
they're closing in,
don't let 'em smell your fear,
you gotta run."
- You Gotta Run (feat. Ames), Klergy

I climb out of the truck and bounce on the balls of my feet, limbering up after being so stiff and unmoving the whole drive.

Shane and Otis grab an empty duffle bag each, and we head for the school. During our short walk, I pull the handgun from my backpack and tuck it in my waistband. I don't really want it, but we have to be prepared for anything.

In and out is our goal.

Otis said the FEMA shelter had been set up in the school's car park, so we don't even need to enter the school. Just the car park. However, Otis also said that this place had been overrun. Hopefully, it has improved since his last visit.

When we reach the school, we get down and commando crawl up the grass hill to the car park, hiding behind a couple of parked police cars at the top. We hear the telltale snarls and gurgles of walkers.

"Okay, let's take a look." Shane whispers.

We all slowly and gingerly raise up and peek over the vehicles into the car park. My stomach drops.

It's practically a fucking walker rave up here.

There has to be at least fifty walkers, trudging around the car park..

We sink back down behind the car. I step into a crouch in front of them, and the guys lean back on the car, facing me.

"You see that big mobile medical trailer across the way?" Otis whispers.

Shane and I take another peak. Scattered through the car park, is a couple of army vehicles, an ambulance and then off to the side of the car park, a trailer with a sign that reads 'Emergency Medical Supplies.'

"That's what we gotta get to?" Shane questions in disbelief.

"Yeah.." Otis nods.

Darkness is falling fast. We have to make a move. The trailer isn't far, about fifty metres or so. What we need is a distraction. Some kind of decoy.

Shane glances over his shoulder at the police car he's leaning against.

"Wait here." he whispers and moves between Otis and I in a crouch. I grab onto his arm as he passes.

"What are you doing?" I whisper hurriedly.

"Gonna pop the trunk."

I look over his shoulder at the walker infested car park. I don't want to let him go but then I remind myself why we're here. Carl. I look into his eyes as I let go of his arm. He looks at me for a second longer and then turns away.