Chapter 12

"love the way you make me feel, i want it all the timehate the way you make me feel, you're all that's on my mind

i want it all the time
hate the way you make me feel,
you're all that's on my mind."
- Deep, Marian Hill

"So that's it, huh? You're just gonna walk off?" Shane confronts Rick as soon as Rick exits his tent. "Just to hell with everybody else?"

I walk away from them, wanting to give them some privacy. I head up to the group, blowing a bubble with my gum as I go.

Daryl's getting ready to leave. Lori's looking agitated as she folds her laundry with Carl. I pass them and go stand with Glenn.

Shane and Rick make their way up, still arguing.

"Could you throw me a bone here, man? Could you just tell me why?" Shane asks. "Why would you risk your life for a douche bag like Merle Dixon?"

"Hey, choose your words more carefully." Daryl scolds.

"No, I did. Douche bag's what I meant." Shane states. Glenn and I have to stifle our laughs at Shane's sass. "Merle Dixon.. Guy wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dyin' of thirst."

"What he would or wouldn't do doesn't interest me." Rick tells him. "We left him like an animal caught in a trap. That's no way for anything to die, let alone a human being."

I understand what Rick's saying and I do agree, it is no way for a human to die. But he doesn't know what Merle is like. Bear the loss of one indecent man or possibly sacrifice himself and Daryl? As horrible as it is to say, I'm not so sure the risk is worth the reward.

"So you and Daryl huh, that's your big plan?" Shane questions.

Rick looks to Glenn, and I stop chewing on my gum.

"Oh, come on.." Glenn groans beside me.

"You know the way. You've been there before, in and out, no problem. You said so yourself." Rick tells him. "It's not fair of me to ask, I know that. But I'd feel a lot better with you along. I know she would too." Rick adds, gesturing to Lori.

"That just great. Now you're gonna risk three men, huh?" Shane retorts. "You know, it's not just three; you're putting every single one of us at risk. Just know that, Rick. I mean, come on, you saw that walker. It was here, it was in camp. They're moving out of the cities. They come back here, we need every able body we got, we need 'em here. We need 'em to protect camp."

Shane's worked so hard to protect this group and Rick's back one day and already causing potential upheaval.

Jim did say things would change.. 

"It seems to me what you really need most here, are more guns." Rick says calmly.

"Right.. the guns." Glenn says.