chapter 2

It's 3am. And I can't sleep. Not a single bit.

I feel so disappointed in my parents.

Why would they take an offer like that?

I don't even know anymore because in the end I always listen to my parents. I think they know best, especially mom, but this time?

I tried to picture myself as a wife but I just couldn't. My brain is tortured by me but I can't help overthinking.

I decide to take my phone and google this „Emilio Romano".

Not a single picture of him.

That can't be right so I keep scrolling.

They say he's a multi billionaire because he owns the best hotels, resorts, restaurants, bars, clubs etc.

How does he own that huge company and be famous, but no one knows how he looks like? Not even the employees? How?

He's "cold, tall, handsome and unreachable".

Ok, I didn't expect THAT. But wait how do we know he's handsome? He could be ugly. I mean looks are overrated sometimes. Him being handsome would only make the picture of a rich CEO perfect. Anyways.

My parents want me to marry HIM?

No wait HE wants to marry ME?

That cannot be true in anyway.

Has he seen me? Please as if. I mean I'm not ugly but if he's so handsome he could have anyone he wants. And he wants me?

Am I just too self critical?

I lie there for another hour staring at my ceiling. I still couldn't sleep.

My head is killing me. There're just too many thoughts and worries. I know I won't be able to sleep alone tonight, so I get up and walk over to my brother's room.

I knock once... twice and open the door.

He tells me to come in.

My brother and I have a really good relationship, even though he can be very annoying at times, he was always my protector despite being the younger sibling.

„Can I stay here for the night?"

„Oh of course. Hold on."

He says something in his headset and turns his computer off.

„Wanna talk?", he asks with a worried smile.

„I'm scared.", I distract myself by playing with my fingers. It calms me down and helps a lot with anxiety.

„Why?", he soothes me.

„I always planned every single detail of my life and suddenly I'm married?", I look up to the ceiling.

„Hey, the decision hasn't been made yet.", he tries to comfort me.

„But mom and dad said we can't really refuse. So I don't actually have a choice."

„Of course you do"

„No I don't Theo. I don't have the power to decline and you know it, so stop denying it. What am I gonna do if he's terrible?", I say a little too loud.

„You're gonna find a way. You're strong, never forget that.", he looks directly in my eyes.

People always say that I'm strong but when are they gonna realise that I'm not? I'm not strong, just very stubborn and in the end I always listen to other people.

So weak.

So pathetic.

I know they're all right but I can't admit it to myself. That offer sounds so good and there're really no cons except a really big one. 

I'M SCARED.

„Sometimes I forget I'm the older one yet you're always the one comforting me."

„Yea yea now sleep you have to get up in 3 hours.", he kisses me on the forehead and turns off the light.

„Good night", I say while I fall asleep next to him. 

———

Damn my phone rings. 7am.

Fuck I need to get up now. I get ready and then drive to my first lecture.

On the way to my university I put on some music to clear my head, but all I could think about was my parents, how they told me to get married.

I'm just too scared.

Scared that it'll ruin my future.

Scared of this Emilio Romano.

Scared of the unknown.

Usually I'm really motivated and everything my professors say is interesting but today is different. It's so boring and I'm so tired I can't even keep my eyes open.

My parents really ruined my mood. But thinking that it would give us influence and opportunities, actually sounds nice. I grew up helping my parents. I was always involved and did my own chores, started helping at the restaurant despite studying. Being tied to a man, living off his money and sit at home doing nothing? No, thank you. That is not how I was raised and that is not how I will live. I am independent and hard working. 

———

Somehow I survived uni for today.

I get back home and see my mom sitting on the couch.

„Hi mom.", I put my stuff onto the countertop.

„Hey sweetie, is everything alright?", she looks at me.

„No actually, I want to talk to you about the marriage-thing?" it accidentally came out as a question.

„Oh yes, of course" mom said and gestures me to sit down and I do.

„I'm really confused at the moment. I thought about it all night and I don't know if I can do it mom. I mean sure it's gonna give us huge benefits in every possible way but will I be happy with him? I mean I don't know him. I know nothing but his name and a few things I googled about him."

What if he's cruel towards me?

What if he tortures me or has some weird habits?

„I understand sweetie. The marriage will only be on paper. You can distance yourself from him if that's what you want. So in that way there're no cons. The only thing is that you need to move in with him, but he's never home so you practically live alone, and now that you're an adult, and it wouldn't do you any harm to live alone."

She does have a point well she always does, typically mom.

I mean she's right but what if he is home and he's full of crap what do I do then??

Even if I distance myself, he could pressure me to do something. I mean we would live together and be married. No one would care for an immigrant anyways, so if he does something no one will notice and even if they do... they wouldn't do anything against it.

„Can I still move out after some time?", I fucking hope so because I ain't gonna live with a psychopath.

„If the media isn't suspicious about it."

Right I forgot he's famous.

„Mom, I'm super tired because I barely slept. I'm gonna go upstairs and lie down for a bit. I don't know what my answers gonna be but I need to clear my head first."

„Ok do that good night.", my mom tells me even though it's afternoon.