Chapter 23

(STILL) Tris' POV (Sorry bout that.)

My head starts to feel normal again and I don't feel empty anymore. I hear a voice as my ears start to function again.

"Tris!"

I feel a pair of hands on my shoulder, shaking me. My eyes fly open and I'm surprised to find that I'm no longer in Tobias' arms, but am under them.

"Oh, thank God."

He's leaning over me with a half worried-half relieved look in his eyes. I frown.

"What?"

"You passed out Tris! You scared the shit out of me! I thought something was wrong!"

My eyes widen. "I-I did?"

"Yes!"

I frown again. "How long have I been out?"

"It's been 20 minutes now! I've been trying to wake you up! Are you okay?"

I try to sit up but Tobias pushes me back down gently.

"I'm fine Tobias...I didn't think I passed out...I just...I was just thinking...and..."

I trail off. Did I pass out when I felt my head go light? When I could finally think straight? That must've been when it happened. I look back up at his eyes and see that the relieved look in his eyes is gone, but the worried expression is still there along with some unshed tears. I reach up and gently run my fingers along the side of his face and my thumb across his lips.

"Hey I'm okay," I whisper. "Don't worry about me. I'm fine. Please don't cry. Please don't."

I try to sit up, and this time he lets me. He closes his eyes for a moment. When he opens them back up, there isn't a trace of tears and only a little bit of his worried expression is left there.

"Are you sure you're ok?"

I nod. "I'm sure."

He still looks skeptical but he stands up and offers me his hand, which I take gratefully. Once I'm up, I'm pulled into his arms.

"Don't do that to me again."

I wrap my arms around his middle and squeeze him tight, knowing that I won't hurt him.

"I'm so sorry."

He kisses the top of my head. I pull back a few moments later and place my lips on his, reassuringly. When we pull back I rest my forehead on his.

"I'm okay. I promise."

"Why did you pass out?"

"I'm not exactly sure...I just remember thinking and my head feeling light. It was like it emptied out everything and I could actually think straight...I did a lot of thinking in 20 minutes. It felt like longer."

He raises an eyebrow at the tiny smile that just formed on my face.

"What were you thinking about that caused you to pass out?"

"The missing puzzle piece," I almost whisper.

He looks confused. I shake my head.

"It's nothing."

"Well it's gotta be something."

"It's impossible to explain. Trust me."

He stares at me for a few moments before replying.

"It's nothing like Eric or anything...right?"

"No. It's nothing like Eric."

"Then I guess I can let this one go..." he trails off, looking wary of his answer.