Chapter Nineteen

Bucky's POV

"James" a small croaky voice whispers, I shoot up. I must have fallen asleep. I quickly kneel besides Opal "Are you okay? Do you need anything?", "Just you". I crawl into the bed with her and hug her as tightly as I can without hurting her injuries "I was so fucking worried" I cry into her hair. She apologises but I ignore her; it's not her fault.

When Bruce comes in at around 8am he asks her a few questions on behalf of Fury. She tells him she would wake up for around two seconds but would then fall back unconscious so she doesn't know anything. "Look, Opal we ran some tests and-", "No, I don't want to know". I look at her sympathetically. "I should probably tell you that I've informed Bucky, I'm sorry I know it's unprofessional but-", "Please Bruce, I really don't want to know. Thank-you for telling James but that's all I'm comfortable with right now" he nods and continues to tell us that she'll need to be on bed rest for a while as her body is very drained and that if she eats and drinks plenty today, she can leave by this after-noon.

Throughout the day the team drop by and hug her and she thanks them for all they've done. I message Cindy and her, Nora, George and Hunter ask if they can visit. I ask Opal and her answer was "Tell them to bring me everything on the McDonald's menu", I laugh but she looks at me sternly, I guess she's serious. I secretly give Cindy my PayPal information and tell her to buy everything for Opal, and for everyone else to get what they want too. I also inform her that I will be changing my password, she tells me that's a good call because she will definitely try to use it again.

When they arrive their arms are full of huge delivery bags. Opal sits up as I set out her food and drinks out on the bed table. No one gets a chance to hug her first as she's stuffing her face with a burger. "Oh my" her eyes roll back, we all laugh at her. Hunter's snuggled up on her lap, happy to see his mother. I confessed to Opal that I hadn't been taking him to therapy as I weren't sure where he went and no one else seemed to either, She sends the therapist a text to let her know what happened and they make an appointment for tomorrow. "Give me the address and times" I tell her, she looks at me with disgust "No, I'm taking him" I roll my eyes but before I can say anything George cuts in "No way, listen to James. You need your rest". She pouts like she did on our first date. Nora laughs at her stubbornness and pinches her cheek lightly "You don't need to rely on just yourself anymore".

4 Big Macs, 3 large fries, 6 apple pies and 2 milkshakes later, Opal's ready to leave. Her body's still weak so I carry her bridal style to the car. She's not happy about it. I strap Hunter in and start to drive. "I moved all my stuff in", she looks at me "Really?", "Yeah, I kinda took care of Hunter the whole time". She smiles and leans her head on my shoulder. I'm glad she didn't thank me, he's my son too. "James got really good at cooking too, mom", Opal laughs "Thank god for that".

I settle her in on the couch with a blanket and bring her a bottle of water. I force her to send me the appointment information for Hunter's therapy session and add it to my phone calendar to remind me. It's pretty early which is great, I'd like for us all to have a chill day.

"Hey, I forgot to ask, what's the date?", "It's the 18th November". She stands up quickly so I immediately pull her back down "What?" I ask, "Hunter's 6th birthday is on the 21st. I haven't gotten anything". I tell her to relax and that I'll sort it, she's adamant to do it herself but I'm not letting her, she needs to heal. She gives me the list and I search the internet while she takes a nap. I add a few things in myself and when I say 'a few' I mean a lot. I select next day delivery and put the order through. I even bought wrapping paper and cards. I snuggle up besides her and whisper in her ear "His birthday's sorted, baby". She kisses my cheek lightly "I don't know what I'd do without you". I hug her closely, I don't know what I'd do without her.

Me and Hunter's up and ready by 8am for his 9am appointment. I ask Steve to come over and make sure Opal doesn't move a muscle while I'm gone. She's still asleep for now but she'll wake up soon and try to take advantage of me not being there.

"How's therapy been?" I ask Hunter, "I really like it". I'm glad, it's so good of Opal to pay all this money to make sure Hunter's processing everything appropriately. She's a great mother. We wait in the waiting room, this must be a new building; I've never seen it before. "Hunter Lewis" a voice calls from one of the doors. Hunter says goodbye to me and make his way into the room. As I'm about to leave I notice he left his bag, I lightly knock on the door "Come in!", "Sorry, Hunter left his bag" I look up and see Dr Raynor. She looks shocked "James?", "Can daddy stay with me please?", "Of course, dear". I take a seat on the familiar sofa and spend the hour listening to Hunter and Dr Raynor. He's really open about things, it's great. After the sessions up, she begins to talk to me. I explain how I met Opal and that we've been dating for a while now, it was Hunter's idea to call me dad and that things are great. She smiles sincerely at me "I'm so glad to hear that". We say our goodbyes and leave.

Opal's POV

I get out of bed as soon as I hear the door shut and the car pull off. Finally. I rush down stairs and run into the kitchen to make myself something to eat "There's breakfast in the microwave" I jump and turn around. It's Steve smirking at me. Damnit. "You really hate being dependent on others don't you?", "Yes" I say dryly. We spend the next two hours watching TV and eating whatever we could find in the fridge, turns out he isn't a great cook either. Must be a 40's men thing. We talk for a while about the most random things, I do like Steve. He's a great person and a great friend.

James and Hunter come back and Steve immediately stands up "Hey Hunter, what do you say me and you go to the movies?" Of course Hunter wants to. They take off and leave me and James together, alone. "His presents came early this morning, I thought we could wrap them together". He's so sweet.

We wrap every single one, my fingers are killing. James ordered so much and he refuses to take any money off me. I hate him for that, I really do. "So, I met Hunters therapist today", "Oh yeah? She's great isn't she?" I reply. He laughs nervously "I uh, she was actually my therapist a few years ago", I look up at him a little shocked "Really?", "Yeah, it was mandatory for me to see her every week on condition of my pardon. I wasn't the easiest patient but she really did help me". I kiss the side of his head "I'm so proud of you, James". He lets out a deep breath "Opal, I know we said I never had to speak about this stuff but it's been playing on my mind a lot recently. What do you think of me? Honestly", I'm taken back by his sudden mood change, he's feeling insecure and doubting himself. "James, I think you're the bravest person I have ever met. Not once did I doubt for one second that you were an amazing person, even before we met. What you went through was horrific and I'm so sorry that happened to you. You deserved to live out your life, get married and have kids" he wipes away my tears that I had no idea had fallen and pulls me onto his lap "Thank-you. You know, I like to think that you and Hunter are my reward for going through all of that". He kisses me deeply but stops before it gets too intense "You still need to rest" he says in a serious tone.