Chapter 8

The Inter-college Arts Fest was indeed a big deal. It was a bigger deal for the final-year students. I mean it was our last chance to be a part of that. And it was a much bigger deal to the union members because it was our responsibility to make it a smashing hit. And it was our friends' final year. We had to, had to make this the best festival they have ever been to and an unforgettable memory. Adwaith was sure of that. He gave it his all. Heat soul and everything.

"Can you please eat something?" Soumya was yelling at him. He was on the phone with the chief guest for tomorrow's inauguration ceremony. He silenced her with a 'shh'. Soumya looked worried about him.

"Don't worry... I will feed something when all this is over." I told her. She looked concerned for him. I felt jealous. Having someone to nag about your eating is having someone who cares. Will I have that with Arya someday??

"So...how is it going with Arya?" Soumya asked.

"Eh..."

"What? Give me some gossip too!"

"It's..." I scratched my head, embarrassed, "okay so far. We are still just friends, though."

Soumya smiled. "I am glad for her. I always felt bad for her as she is always so alone without any friends. And that Shruthi is just too much." She shook her head. I might have looked confused, because Soumya asked, "Don't you know about Arya and Shruthi?"

I shook my head.

"Oh... They used to be friends. At the beginning of college. Like in the first year." She said. "But then... I don't know what happened, but they were not friends anymore. I mean, suddenly they were not hanging out together anymore, and Shruthi was being super mean to her."

I had no idea. And it kind of bothered me that there was still so much that I did not know about Arya. We had been talking considerably for the past few months, and she did not tell me this. And that troubled me because Asif was already of the opinion that Arya was just playing with me. That in the end, she may just declare that I am like a brother to her and go date or marry someone else.

It made me feel kind of uneasy. No, I did not doubt that would be true. Arya is not like that. She was unique and special. And I knew her better than anyone. Or so I thought...

"Mean in the sense?" I asked Soumya.

"Hm...like telling other girls that Arya is a snob and selfish 'bitch'."

"WHAT?" I snapped.

Soumya rolled her eyes, "it's just her mean way of getting back at whatever happened between them, I guess." Maybe. But I wondered why Arya did not tell me about that herself. "Adi, Finally..." Soumya yelled, making me startled. Adwaith had gotten off the phone. "I am not listening to you, You are going to come and eat something." She yelled at him.

"Why are you still here? It's too late. Come, I will drop you home." He said going to her. "Nik, you are in charge of Swara Rajan tomorrow, okay," He added to me.

"Huh?" I said. Swara Rajan was supposed to be our chief guest. A movie star.

"What? You seemed like the best guys for it. You don't have any charge in the morning, and you take care of women well. Will be polite and won't do anything idiotic. And yeah, keep all these sleazy guys away from her. Her protection is also your charge. "

"I was hoping to spend the morning with Arya." I sighed.

Arwaith's face got strict. "I can understand how you would want that, but get serious. We have work to do."