Chapter 23

The lesson to learn - don't drink on a weekday. I got to the office late with a headache. Lied that I was not well. People believed that because I recently recovered from a fever.

What I remember from last night is that Nik got me home, and we said goodbye at the door. I was sober enough to walk in. We did not kiss goodbye. I felt uneasy and all unfulfilled again.

I texted him.

Arya: hey

And I waited

Nikhil: hey...

Arya: Are we okay?

There was so much delay in reply. Really.... So much delay...

Nikhil: Yeah

Arya: I want to see u...

Nikhil: I am home

Arya: What? Why? Why are you not in the office? Are you okay?

I called him. "What is wrong...?" I asked, concerned.

"Nothing, I just did not feel like going to the office," he said. "Plus there is stomach pain and stuff." He added absentmindedly. What stomach pain? Did he eat something bad?

"Appu?" I demanded to know more.

"Look, I am fine." He said, frustrated. "Don't bother me," And hung up. I was left a bit angry. I considered what to do. This situation with him was getting a bit too... I mean, I did not want things to get irrevocably bad with Nikhil. He is Nikhil. He is actually sort of my everything at this moment.

I rang the calling bell to Nikhil's apartment. It was my second time coming here. Till the corridor. He rarely lets me come here because it's a guys' place, he says. Mostly he drops me home and goes home. A guy, well built, dressed just in shorts and brief opened the door. And was startled and shy on seeing me, he almost scuffled out of the doorway.

"Nikhil?" I asked. This must be a flatmate.

"Eh.... That room," he indicated a closed-door inside.

"Can I come in?" I asked hesitating.

"Nikhil's girlfriend?" the guy asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"Please...." He said, giving me space to walk in.

I walked in. And knocked on Nikhil's door. "He is sleeping or something." The guy behind me said in Hindi.

"Is he unwell?" I asked in English. My Hindi is not that good.

The guy shrugged and replied in Hindi "He did not go to the office. You should know better than me."

I nodded and opened the door to Nikhil's room. He sure was sleeping. I walked in and closed the door behind me. I went and sat by him and checked his temperature. It was normal. My touch woke him up, and he scuffled out of my touch. "Wha- what..." he appeared confused and bewildered about my presence there.

He sat up, and blinked at me, "What are you doing here?"

I frowned. That was offensive. It was almost as if he did not want me there. As if I am not welcome? I am his girlfriend/fiancée, not some random girl. Then I noticed that he was in shorts and briefs too. More like boxer shorts and briefs. Hmm....Interesting....