Chapter 26

Wednesday came around faster than expected, and that meant that Nikhil should be back in Bangalore. Still no text or call. And somehow, I had stopped caring, I was still angry. But I did not check my mobile every five minutes. It is his loss. Whatever... I am not dependent on him. I don't care AT ALL.

Technically I should be calling Arya to let her know I am back, even if she knows that I should be back. But.... I don't feel like it. I wish I can avoid confrontation. Whatever happened in the past, with the parents and everyone in the picture the marriage is happening anyway. I have to convince her to shift back to Trivandrum as well.

Now that I thought about all of this, I felt stupid again for stretching the fight. Eventually, somebody has to call. And this time let it be me. I called her...

"Hm?"

"Busy?"

"No. Tell me..." Such a professional, cold voice.

"So... I came back."

"Okay..."

Okay?? Okay? Huh?

"So... Working late tonight?" I asked.

"No. Why?"

She is acting so prissy. I don't want to do this tonight. "I am. So... I can't meet. See you tomorrow or someday."

"Okay," she said.

Again, okay??? "Okay. That's all. Bye," I hung up. She can be such a bitch sometimes.

He hung up. Irritating jerk. I set the phone away. But at least I won, he called first. My phone blinked.

Darshan: Dinner tonight?

I did not see him after that night and did not call or text either. I just felt weird. But a part of me was saying I overreacted. I mean, it is not like he tried to kiss me or anything. Nothing actually happened.

Darshan: Come on. You actually owe me 1000 rs.

Darshan: nevermind if you are meeting your guy

Arya: I am not.

Darshan: Then thank you for the dinner. I will pick you up at 8.

Arya: I didn't say yes.

Darshan: After many serious contemplations we had mutually come to a very concrete conclusion that – 'u deserve a life'.

I chuckled.

Arya: Fine.

If I meet him, I can keep his alcohol consumption checked as well.

"I have a challenge for you," I said as I walked to Darshan's bike. He looked at me with interest, "Stay sober for a week. I will get you my mother's unniappam."

"Hm..." He stood back, to consider. "And how do you suppose you will check to make sure I am sober for a week?"

Right. I was going to trust his honesty. But... I wonder.

"Want to live with me? In my house?" he asked, joking. "You can easily keep tabs."

I rolled my eyes.

While driving Darshan called back, "So if I do stay sober... do I actually get the treat?"

"Yeah," I called over, for that I had to move closer. "Are you going to?"