Chapter 24

For a while, my life was again pushed back into family drama. But thankfully into Nikhil's family drama than mine. Because the moment I stepped into my house, I went to my room, freshened up, got ready and took an auto here. Now I was sitting listening Nik complain to his father about him being unable to perform as a human being without Amma's support.

Amma just laughed merrily. She asked me to sit with her and took my hand in her hand. She asked me lovingly about my job and life. Even my mother did not treat me with so much affection.

A while later, Amma's friends began to arrive to visit her - A few aunties. I got up politely. And one of them was like "So this is Appu's girl?" Amma proudly introduced me to them. I was feeling really awkward. And Nik had vanished from the room. Papa said he will make tea for the guests, but I jumped at the chance to escape and told him I will make tea. Then everyone was like 'oh such a perfect daughter-in-law already'. That was that.

Anyway, I felt like I had a breather while I was in the kitchen. Alone....

Being around Nik's family was still a bit too overwhelming. They were still too happy, and I still felt like a misfit in that perfect picture of mother, father and son. Did I really belong here???

Nikhil pocked his head in, "You don't have to make tea, you know." He said.

"I know," I replied.

"By the way, the guys are coming. Adi, Asif, Sharan."

"Great. Enjoy..."

He looked at me, doubtfully for a second. And came in. "You are still in this mood?" He was all happy after coming home; after being near his Amma. "I am okay," I did not want to spoil his mood.

"I know you are not," he said, taking my elbow. "I wish I can do something? To cheer you up." He said. He looked concerned and frustrated. This is how people are. When someone is unhappy. They get frustrated. "Should we go for a drive tonight? And dinner?"

"No. You should be with Amma." I said. "I am fine," I turned away to put tea powder into the tea.

"Arya," He called.

"Nikhil..." I heard Sharan's voice from outside. Nik turned around as well. "See the guys are here. Go enjoy," I told him. He turned to me. "You come too. They are your friends too."

"Yeah, I will come later. After I finish making tea."

His eyes flickered at me. As if he is reading me, understanding that I really want to be left alone right now. And I could sense that he doesn't like this part of me. Me who won't perk up in a crowd, play my role, act happy for the sake of it.

I was just not in the mood. I was mentally exhausted.

"Go," I told him. He turned around and went away. I continued making tea and added a few more cups for the guys. I still felt like crying. But I was still unable to cry since yesterday. It was getting too suffocating.

Adi was fidgeting with his phone, texting rapidly. He appeared frustrated. I remembered how he mentioned problems with Soumya. I had assumed they would have been because of the long distance. But now they are together in one city again. Things should be fine now...

"Can you excuse me?" He told Sharan, Asif and me and got up and walked off to the balcony. I could hear him talk on the phone, or rather fight on phone. "God, don't start again..." "I told you already. "No..." "Don't you dare come here..."