Chapter 10

I stacked chair by chair on top of each other and lifted them. I had spent the rest of the evening, helping out with the events. It was easier to concentrate on something else, something I can do, and not think much. It was easier to follow instructions and just do that.

Passingly, I did see Shruthi hang out with a dude who was probably her boyfriend. He was tall, well built and fair. So that is the guy Arya had a crush on in the past. Obviously, I was nothing compared to him.

I put about six plastic chairs together and lifted them. They were heavy. Really heavy. But that was just what I needed.

The events were over for the day. Most people had gone home. It was just the union people and some friends left. I could see that my friends were stealing looks at me cautiously. They hesitated to talk. They could see something is wrong, I guess. When the chairs were neatly stacked away, I felt distressed by the lack of labour.

Adwaith went to Sharan and was saying he needs to organize the charts for tomorrow's events. "I will do that," I said, grabbing the file.

"Nikhil," Adi turned to me, "just stop it." His voice was soft. "You are overcompensating now. Take a break." He said.

I shook my head, "No, I can work." Let me work.

"No. Enough for today," Adi said, with warmth in his voice, "come I will drop you home."

"Yes, da... Go." Sharan also said. "And sorry for today, maybe I said too much." I shook my head. It was my fault. I made a mistake. But I felt so tired to say anything.

Adwaith drove me home. I was silent on the way. The gate was open, so Adwait dropped me in front of the house. When I got down, he had this brotherly look to him. "Don't overthink and sleep tight, okay?" He said. I nodded.

I just walked in and went to my room, shut the door and dropped to my bed. The whole world is just crap...or not, I was the one who is crap. Pain...

A while later, amma entered my room. Without even a knock, as usual. "What are you doing? Come have dinner." She said.

"I am not hungry," I said, cold.

"What nonsense. Come..."

"Told you I am not hungry," I yelled at her, angry. Amma blinked at me. I don't yell at her often. Now she will not leave me alone at all.

"What's wrong?" She started. I knew she was going to do this. She sat down on the bed. "Appu, what is wrong?"

"Nothing, just leave me alone," I said. "Go away..." The last person I needed right now was my mother. She had this worried, concerned look on her face. "Just go..."

"Appu, is that any way to talk to your mother?" Papa was at the door too now.

"I want to be alone right now." I hissed at them both. "Just get out of my room, and leave me alone. I am not a kid anymore."

"We just want to help, Appu..." Amma said.

"You want to help? Okay...." I said, "Then buy me a bike. But you won't. All my friends have one. But you say it's dangerous... Do you think I am still two years old?" I was taking out all my frustration on Amma. It is because of her that I turned out to be like this—overprotected useless shit.

"We have told you there is no need for you to have a bike. We have a car. You can use that in case you need-"

"I don't need a car. I need a bike." I said, cutting in. "I am 21 years old in a month."