Chapter 19

The rest of the exams went okay. The college ended. It would be three or four months till our companies call us for training. Meanwhile, my parents enjoyed telling everyone how many companies I got into. And I enjoyed my dates with Nikhil.

We met almost every day. I did not want to stay at home. The atmosphere there was enough to drive me mad. We sometimes watched movies, sometimes hung out at Adwaith's place with Soumya included. Once, we went to his home - saw auntie, talked to her.

We also went back to see the beach. We were not scared of the people's eyes now. Held hands and walked through the waves.

Things were fine until the appointment call of my desired company came. It was a Sunday. The email came, and I stepped out of my room to tell my parents. They were in the living room.

"Eh... the call letter came. I have to join next month." I said.

They looked up at me. They just kept staring. They both do not talk much to me after that incident. They talk to each other in hushed voices.

"So...I have to go. To Bangalore, I mean." I fidgetted.

Achan simply just looked at amma. "Tell her..."

Tell me what?

Amma looked nervous. "Sit down, mole..." She said. I sat down.

"About your marriage..." She said.

Again???

"I can't get married now," I said.

"But your course is over..." Amma began.

"Yeah. I have a job now."

"Yes, but you can start seeing boys...."

"I told you I don't want to."

"Then when will you get married?" Achan snapped.

"When I want to."

"You can't do everything at your leisure. The is a timing for everything."

"I thought we had this conversation. I thought I told you that if you bring more boys, I will do the same."

I could see Achan's face darkening. "Look," he suddenly went so calm. And calm was scarier, "if you are planning to bring shame to this household as your brother did, I would rather you do it over my dead body. I am not ever letting another one of my kids make a joke out of me and shame me in front of the whole world."

I am not. I am not trying to bring shame to the house. But that does not mean I get married to anyone. I reminded silent.

"You forget your job in Bangalore and all. You are not going anywhere."

"What?"

"You are going to stay at home. Find a job here. I don't even care if you find a job or not. Boys will come to see you. You will get married. You can go to Bangalore or America after marriage if your husband allows you to."

I chuckled at that 'allow'. I could not help it. "See her laughing... Laughing..." Achan yelled at amma. "She has no manners. She is spoilt. As much as that boy was. This is all your fault." He turned to amma.

"Why is it her fault?" I asked. "And I will go to Bangalore for the job. You cannot stop me. And you can not force me to marry. Ever. I will rather die than get married."