Chapter 14

On the morning of my birthday, Amma and Papa came together to wake me up. I thought that was a bit too much, but they said there is a surprise and took me out of the house for the most expensive and awesome birthday gift ever. I could not even believe it. I looked back at Amma with stunned disbelief. But she had a smile. She fixed my hair and told me, "guess you are old enough now."

The next couple of hours, I spent admiring it. But actually, I was more excited about the fact that Arya is coming home for my birthday than this gift. I could not wait until she is here.

It was a birthday lunch because Arya said it's easier for her to come during the day than in the evening. I was okay with it because the earlier she arrives, the better for me. If I had to wait till evening, I would go mental.

The guys all started coming around 9.30 am itself and started eating breakfast at our house. They also admired the gift. But for now, they were more interested in the 'appam and stew' Amma had made. About 10.30, Arya texted me that she had reached the junction. She was coming by bus.

Arya did not know the location of our house. So I went out to meet her halfway on the lane.

"Yeah, I can see you," I said, as I noticed Nikhil. He waved at me. And then he kind of took a breath in, and his eyes went all over me. I knew this.

I was wearing a salwar. The white Anarkali one that I wore for Preeti's wedding. The same one I was wearing in my matrimony profile photo. I thought my actual boyfriend and his family should get to see me in it before some random guy and his family and they value me based on that. So I dressed up exactly as I did for Preeti's wedding. It kind of suited the occasion as well. I was meeting his parents and all that. Somehow traditional wear felt more appropriate.

I could not take my eyes off. I, on the other hand, had just come out in my home clothes – Bermuda shorts and a t-shirt. Idiot, who does that?

"Okay, you can stop looking now." She said as she stopped in front of me.

"Are you seriously wearing bangles and all?" I asked, catching her wrist and holding it up. There was a golden colour metal bangle on her wrist, studded with white stones. It was beautiful.

"Leave it," she said, conscious, "I did not wear all this for you." She walked forward, "It's for your mother."

I started walking backwards, still looking at her, "Really? And what was the big need to impress my mother?" I teased her. I was feeling so so happy. She narrowed her eyes at me. I laughed.

"Don't walk backwards. You will fall." She said.

"No, I am fine,"

"Nikhil, you will fall. Just walk properly."

"I didn't get my birthday wish yet."

"Ah... Happy birthday."

I stepped on a pit in the road and almost fell back. Arya grabbed my hand. "I told you to be careful. You can't listen to people when they say something." She yelled angrily. I stood back on my feet. I seemed to have scrapped my ankle, but I ignored the pain. It seemed like she will yell at me more if I got myself hurt as well. Arya is sometimes a mini version of my mother.

But, now I was too close to her, and I could see her kajal-lined eyes better. I started to feel weaker. The lustful monster inside me woke up. Growled.

Damn.

I left his hand immediately. The desire in his eyes was making me feel unsettled. "Here is your gift," I thrust the shopping bag I was holding to his chest. And walked forward, "Don't...." He said, threading his finger into my bangle. "I will die..."